(64), and screws (63) and torque to 25 to 30 inch-
Make sure that the power piston plug is
on the right side of the pump as viewed
(42) Thread five full turns of spring (80) onto
from the transfer pump end.
speed droop control rod (79). Slip the free end of
the spring over the formed ends of the governor arm
(30) Torque plug (103) to 40 to 50 inch-pounds.
(86) with the bent-in ends of the spring between the
(31) Torque head locating screw (106) to 300
(32) Torque head locking screws (136 and
137) to 175 inch-pounds.
The apparent looseness in the governor
parts is normal. Lost motion is immedi-
ately taken up as soon as the pump actu-
(33) Invert the pump and holding fixture in the
(43) Assemble the throttle shaft assembly (26)
with lever (35) installed partially into position
through the housing. Slide the spacer bushing (44)
Never sand or polish off the special treat-
ment on the valve.
and the throttle shaft lever (45) over the throttle
shaft so that the projection on the throttle shaft lever
bore engages the keyway on the shaft. Position the
throttle lever so that its forward tab straddles the
(34) Install the metering valve (93) and shims
(95) into its bore. Depress and rotate the valve sev-
linkage hook tab. Apply a light coat of grease to the
eral times to insure freedom of movement, If valve
throttle and shut off seals (41 and 42), Assemble the
shutoff shaft assembly (24) from the opposite side of
sticks, lap it carefully in clean oil.
the housing with a slight rotary motion Locate and
(35) Metering Valve Setup:
secure shutoff cam (25),
(44) Rotate the shaft until a click is heard.
(a) Install No. 11610 shim and No. 16575
This is the governor arm (86) engaging the governor
spacer on metering valve.
(b) Thread control rod guide No. 20223
(45) With the throttle shaft in the wide open
into pump (finger tight).
position, check the clearance between the rear of the
throttle shaft (B) and the vertical tab (A) on the link-
(c) Check clearance between valve and
age hook. This clearance should be 0.210 to 0.225
control rod guide. Add shim No. 16576 through
16583 (as required) to control clearance between
0.002 in. and 0. 005 in. maximum.
(36) Pull back on the governor linkage hook
Adjustment of this clearance is made by
(50) stretching the spring just enough to connect the
changing the effective length of the linkage
hook correctly to the fork on the governor arm (86).
Position the other end over the pin on the metering
valve arm (91). Check all governor parts again for
freedom of movement.
(46) With adjusting screw (C) tight, apply
pressure to tab (A). At the same time, rotate one or
(37) With the end plate (66) removed, install
two complete revolutions to assure that the linkage is
the speed droop control rod through threaded hole
in the full forward position. Loosen adjusting screw
from inside of pump housing.
(C) and slide the linkage to the full forward position
Insert linkage gauge No. 18914 between the vertical
(38) Slide speed droop guide (75) with seal
tab (A) and the shutoff shaft (B). Slide the linkage
(77), assembled over end of rod (79) and thread into
hook until the face of the tab is flush against the
the housing. Tighten securely.
gauge. Tighten adjusting screw (C) and remove gauge.
Check the adjustment and reset if necessary.
(39) Insert control spring pin (78) into hole at
end of rod (79).
(47) Check all governor parts for freedom of
(40) Assemble seal (74) to groove at end of
guide (75) and install speed droop cap assembly (73)
(48) Assemble frame assembly (16, figure
3-19), spring sleeve (14), spring (13) and arm assem-
(41) Install end plate (66), making sure that
guide pin (69) enters the slot in the transfer pump