ARMY TM 9-6115-464-12
AIR FORCE TO 35C2-3-445-1
NAVY NAVFAC P-8-624-12
Section Ill. ELECTRIC WINTERIZATION KIT
The electric winterization kit uses an external power source to maintain the engine coolant and lubricating oil at normal
operating temperature in situations which require immediate stating of the generator set. The kit will function effectively
down to an ambient temperature of -65°F (-53.9°C). Coolant from the radiator is pumped into the heater assembly where
it is heated by the heater elements. From the heater assembly, the heated coolant passes through the heat exchanger
in the engine crankcase to heat the lubricating oil. After leaving the heat exchanger, the coolant is pumped through the
cylinder block and returned to the radiator. The electric winterization kit maybe installed on a generator set which is
equipped with a fuel burning winterization kit. Power for operation of the kit may be obtained from any 205 to 240 volt,
50/60 Hz or 400 Hz, single phase source.
5-10 ELECTRIC WINTERIZATION KIT INSTALLATION AND REPLACEMENT.
(1) Drain generator set cooling system (paragraph 3-27).
(2) Remove WATER plug (68, Figure 5-5) from center, right-rear of engine cylinder block.
(3) Remove plug (69) from right side of engine water pump assembly.
(4) Remove plug (70) from engine oil pan heat exchanger.
(5) Remove cover plate (71) from heater control assembly mounting hole located to the right of the generator
set control cubicle assembly.
Retain cover plate attaching hardware. It is used to install heater control assembly.
(6) Install electric winterization kit by following the ascending sequence of index numbers (1 through 71)
assigned to Figure 5-5.
Coat threads of all pipe fittings with sealing compound conforming to Military Specifica-
tion MIL-S-22743, Grade HVV prior to installation.
Tube caps (34 and 53) are to be removed and stored in the generator set tool box
and tee (32) and straight adapter (33) installed if fuel burning Winterization is is to
(7) Run wiring harness through existing clamps (62) where indicated.
(8) Connect external power wiring harness to heater control assembly.
(9) Slide shrink tubing (65) over all screw terminals and shrink.
(10) Loosen coolant hose assembly (28) at elbow (26). Place three-way valve (47) in open position and open
Valves (31) and (44).
(11) Service generator set cooling system (paragraph 3-27) and allow air to bleed from winterization kit.
(12) Tighten coolant hose assembly and close valves.
(13) Add coolant to generator set cooling system as necessary.