c. Bend lock tabs (14) down and remove four screws (13)
attaching manifold to cylinder heads and remove manifold
(16). Clean away any gasket material (15) stuck to cylinder
heads or manifold.
d. Repair. Remove manifold as given above and replace
gasket if leaks occur.
e. Install. Install intake manifold (16) and new gasket
(15) to cylinder head and secure with two screws (13) and
lock tabs (14). Torque screws 13 to 15 ft-lbs. Bend lock tabs
(14) up to prevent screws (13) from loosening. Install good
heater elements (18) into heater adapter (24). If heater
adapter threads are damaged, replace adapters. Install
heater adapter (24), gasket (25) and lead (19) on intake
manifold and secure with spacer (33), washers (21 and 22)
and screw (20). Reconnect lead (17) to heater.
If heater adapter is removed, make certain new
gaskets and spacer are used for reassembly.
4.44. ROCKER ARM COVERS.
a. Inspect (see figure 4-38). Inspect rocker arm cover (3)
for dents or other physical damage. Check for leaks espe-
cially at the gasket (4) between cover and cylinder head (5).
Check that cover (3) is securely attached to cylinder head
with screws (1), and lockwashers (2).
b. Remove. Remove shroud (13, figure 3-9) per para-
graph 4-17b. Remove four screws (1, figure 4-38) and lock-
washers (2) attaching each rocker arm cover (3) to cylinder
head (5) and remove cover carefully. Clean gasket (4) from
both cover and cylinder head.
c. Service. Every 500 operating hours, remove rocker
arm covers and clean oil lines. Flush oil lines with clean
diesel fuel and clean small holes with a fine wire. See figure
Adjust valve rocker arms and clean breather
while cover is off.
d. Replace. Place gasket (4, figure 4-38) in position on
each cylinder head. Install each rocker arm cover (3) to
cylinder head and secure with four screws (1) and lockwash-
ers (2). Tighten screws 7 to 8 ft-lb.
Always use a new gasket when installing rocker
a. Inspect (see figure 4-40). Inspect exterior of breather
for damage. Inspect that tube (2) is securely attached to
breather valve (6). Inspect that tube (12) is securely seated in
Figure 4-39. Cleaning Rocker Arm Cover Oil Line
(1) Remove tube (2) from breather valve (6).
(2) Loosen screw (3) and remove clamp (4).
(3) Remove insulators (5) and pull off vlave (6),
screen (8) and filter (10).
(4) Wipe parts with clean cloth. Wash filter mesh (10)
and valve (6) in dry cleaning solvent Fed, Spec. PD 680.
(1) Loosen clamp (1) and remove tube (2) from
(2) Remove clamp (4) by loosening screw (3).
(3) Remove valve (6), screen (7), retainer (8) and
(4) Remove filter (10) and cup (11 ) from tube ( 12).
(5) Remove tube ( 12) from engine ( 13).
(1) Assemble filter ( 10) and cup (11) in breather tub