(1) Fuel Filter Assembly (see figure 4-11). Drain
fuel into a suitable container by opening drain valve
(1). Disconnect feul lines (2, 3 and 4) and drain fuel
lines. Remove elbow (5), check valve (6) and coup-
ling (7). Plug fuel lines to prevent accumulation of
(2) Remove screws (8) and lockwasher (9) at-
taching each filter assembly (10) and strainer as-
sembly (11) to mounting bracket and remove filter or
strainer assembly. Remove inlet and outlet fittings
(12). Be careful when removing fittings not to dam-
(3) Remove nuts (13), lockwashers (14), screws
(15) and remove bracket (16).
(4) Inspect check valve (6) for cleanliness. Us-
ing a clean punch depress check valve from seat (op-
posite end of arrow) and check for free movement
and reseating upon release. Replace check valve if
it does not move freely.
(1) Position bracket (16) on frame and secure
with screws (15), lockwashers (14) and nuts (13).
(2) Position fuel filter assembly (10) or fuel
strainer (11) on bracket (16) and secure with lock-
washers (9) and screws (8).
(3) Install coupling (7), check valve (6) and elbow
(5) on fuel line (4). Make sure arrow on check valve
points toward coupling (7).
(4) Connect fuel lines (4, 3 and 2). Tighten drain
valve (1) in each filter assembly and strainer assem-
(5) On ASK equipped generators, install right panel assembly
4-21. ELECTRIC FUEL P U M P S . F U E L A N D
AUXILIARY SOLENOID VALVE.
a. Testing on Equipment. Perform operational test
for each pump individually. Each pump should pump
at 6 to 7 psi as registered on an accurate fuel pres-
sure gauge. Connect fuel pressure gauge to output
port of pump. Turn master switch to PRIME A ND
RUN position. pressure gauge should register 6 to 7
psi. Replace defective pumps.
b. Service (see figure 4-13). On ASK equipped generators,
remove fuel access door. Remove cover (1), gasket (2) and
strainer (3). Be careful not to lose magnet (4). Every 500 oper-
ating hours replace gasket (2) and strainer (3) in both main
pumps and auxiliary pump. Ensure that chamfered surface of
magnet (4) is up prior to installation of new strainer and gasket.
c. Removal (see figure 4-12).
(1) Fuel Roses. Tag and remove fuel hoses (1, 2,
3 and 4) by unscrewing at fittings (5, 15 and 16). Keep
hoses clean and plug to prevent contamination. Dis-
connect electrical connector (22) at solenoid valve (6).
(2) Fuel Pumps. Tag and disconnect electrical
lead from each fuel pump at connector on wiring
harness. Remove nuts (7), lockwashers (8 and 11) and
screws (9) attaching each pump (12 and 13) and pump
lead (10) to bracket (21) and remove pumps.
(3) Remove solenoid valve (6) from fittings (16
and 17) and remove fitting (5) from solenoid valve.
(4) Remove fittings (14, 15, 16 and 17) from fuel
pumps. Remove nuts (18), Iockwasher (19), screw (20)
and remove bracket (21).
(1) Position bracket (21) on frame and secure
with screws (20), Iockwashers (19) and nuts (18).
(2) Install fuel fittings (17, 16, 15, 14 and 5) in
fuel pumps (12 and 13).
(3) Turn solenoid valve (6) onto fuel pump outlet
fittings (16 and 17) and position on fuel pump as shown
in figure 4-12.
(4) Install fuel pumps (12 and 13) on bracket (21)
and secure with screws (9), washers (8 and 11) and
nuts (7). Reconnect electrical leads to wiring harness
and fuel solenoid valve.
(5) Install and tighten fuel hoses (4, 3, 2 and 1).
4-22. AUXILIARY FUEL SOLENOID VALVE.
a. Test on Equipment. On ASK equipped generators, remove
fuel access door and perform the following procedures:
(1) Ensure output pressure of auxiliary fuel pump
is 6 to 7 psi and fuel level in set tank is below 1/2
full. Disconnect harness at solenoid valve connector.
Place master switch in PRIME RUN and AUX position.
Ensure voltage between points A and B on harness
connector is 24 VDC. Reconnect harness to solenoid
valve. Test output pressure at output side of solenoid
valve. Pressure should be same as output pressure
of auxiliary fuel pump, if not replace solenoid valve.
(2) With 24 volts dc applied across solenoid ter-
minals A and B, the solenoid should draw approxi-
mately 1/2 ampere, if not replace solenoid valve.
4-23. FUEL SHUT-OFF SOLENOID
a. Inspect (on Equipment) (see figure 4-14). On ASK equipped
generators, remove right panel assembly (para 5-6). Check that
electrical connections (1) are secure and clean. Check that rub-
ber boot (11 ) is clean and not broken. Check that governor and
pump linkage moves freely and is clean.
b. Test (on Equipment) (see figure 4-15).
(1) Tag and remove the solenoid harness leads
(1). Figure 4-14.