Proper position of the oil ring gap is with
(6) Remove timing gear and housing (para-
the gap aligned with either piston pin hole.
(7) Remove crankshaft, connecting rods, and
(12) Position piston rings so that no two gaps
(9) Do not remove oil filler neck and captive
cap assembly (3) or stud (4) unless inspection reveals
Use care to insure that connecting rod is
properly aligned with crankshaft connect-
ing rod bearing journal and that the pre-
(10) Do not remove studs (5 and 6) or guide
pin (7) unless inspection reveals damage.
shaft side of the engine.
(11) Do not remove studs (8) and guide pin (9)
unless inspection reveals damage.
(13) With piston rings compressed, use a
hammer handle or wooden dowel to force piston down
(12) Do not remove studs (10, 11, 12 and 13)
into cylinder bore.
or guide pin (14) unless inspection reveals damage.
(13) Remove screws (15), flat washers (16),
(14) When entire piston is in cylinder bore,
screws (17), lockvashers (18) to remove cover plate
insert upper half of connecting rod bearing (3, figure
3- 50) and pull connecting rod down
(19) and gasket (20) from cylinder block (22).
(14) Do not remove plug (21) from cylinder
(15) Place a short strip of plastic gauge on
block (22) unless replacement is necessary.
crankshaft and install lower half of connecting rod
bearing, connecting rod bearing cap (2) and screws
(l). Tighten screws to 70 lb-ft torque.
Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
(16) Remove screws and connecting rod bear-
(1) Clean sludge and dirt deposits from cylin-
der block with dry cleaning solvent. If necessary,
ing cap to remove plastic gauge.
block should be steam cleaned.
(17) Check plastic gauge against standard to
(2) Clean all oil and water passages.
determine bearing clearance. Clearance shall be
0.0010 to 0.0030 inch.
(3) Scrape carbon deposits from top of block.
(18) When clearance is established, install
(4) Remove gasket remains from all mating
lower bearing half, bearing cap and screws (step 16,
(19) Install timing gear housing and assembly.
(5) Perform magnetic particle inspection of
cylinder block in accordance with MIL-I-6868.
(20) Install cylinder head and rocker arm as-
(6) Inspect cylinder bores for scores and
scratches. Minor scratches and scores may be re-
(21 ) Install flywheel and flywheel housing
moved by honing. If necessary, cylinder bores may
be rebored to accept up to 0.060 inch oversized
(7) Check cylinder bores for excessive wear.
Diameter shall be 3.7490 to 3.7510 inches.
CYLINDER BLOCK ASSEMBLY.
(8) Inspect cylinder bores for out-of-round-
Removal and Disassembly.
ness. Each cylinder shall not be out-of-round by
more than 0.0005 inch.
(9) Check cylinder bore taper. Taper shall be
(2) Remove timing gears and cover (paragraph
0.0005 inch maximum.
(10) Non conformity to dimension specified in
(3) Remove flywheel and flywheel housing
steps (7) through (9) above requires that cylinders be
(11) Temporarily install main bearing caps
(4) Remove cylinder head and rocker arm as-
and check main bearing bore diameter. Diameter
sembly (paragraph 3-53).
shall be 3.0665 to 3.0670 inches.