Figure 3-41. Checking Flywheel Concentricity and Alignment
(6) Position dial indicator so that foot rides on
(7) Repair defective paint by removing. Treat and
(7) Set dial indicator pointer to the "zero" position.
(8) Replace oil seal each time flywheel housing is
(8) Slowly rotate crankshaft one complete
c. Installation. Install flywheel and flywheel hous-
ing in reverse order of removal procedures. Bolts for
(9) Alignment of flywheel shall not vary more than
flywheel housing should be torqued to 75 ft-lb dry, 55 ft-
0.005 inch total reading.
(10) Replace flywheel if the above test requirements
cannot be met.
One flywheel bolt is offer center to insure proper
3-50. TIMING GEARS AND COVER.
a. Removal and Disassembly.
(1) Remove the hydraulic pump assembly
(1) Turn crankshaft to dead center (DC) position.
(2) Attach a dial indicator to flywheel housing and
(2) Remove the fuel injector nozzle from No. 1
position so that foot rides on inner face of pilot bore (see
(3) Turn the engine over until the 20 degree before
(3) Set did indicator pointer to zero position.
top dead center (BDC) mark on the engine flywheel is
aligned with the timing mark on the flywheel housing
(4) Slowly rotate crankshaft one complete
and No. 1 cylinder is on compression stroke.
(5) Concentricity of pilot bore shall not vary 0.005
inch total reading.