Flywheel and Flywheel Housing, Exploded View
wheel housing (9) and gasket (10). Discard gasket.
Wear asbestos gloves when handling heated
flywheel to avoid serious burns.
(4) Using a suitable press, remove oil seal
(11) from fywheel housing and discard.
(b) Remove flywheel and ring gear and
b. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
lightly tap ring gear to separate.
(1) Clean all parts in dry cleaning solvent
(c) Heat replacement ring gear as in step
(Federal specification P-D-680) and dry thoroughly.
(3)(a) above while freezing flywheel.
Remove caked grease deposits with a stiff bristle
(2) Inspect flywheel for cracks, nicks, and
burrs. Remove minor nicks and burrs with crocus
Wear asbestos gloves when handling frozen
flywheel and heated ring gear.
(d) Quickly install heated ring gear onto
Rinse flywheel in dry cleaning fluid after
dressing with crocus cloth. Crocus cloth
(4) Inspect flywheel housing for cracks, ex-
contains ferrous oxide which will acceler-
cessive corrosion, and defective paint.
ate rusting of cast iron parts.
(5) Repair cracks in flywheel housing by weld-
(3) Inspect ring gear for cracks, chipped or
broken teeth and other damage. If ring gear is badly
(6) Remove corrosion from flywheel housing
damaged, replace as follows:
with No. 00 grit abrasive paper soaked in oil. Clean
flywheel housing with dry cleaning solvent after re-
(a) Heat flywheel and ring gear in an
oven at 450F (232.2C) for two hours.