TO 35 C2-3446-2
(d) Submerge hydraulic sump in a container
of water and pressurize at 10 to 15 psig air
The hydraulic system used on MEP-104A sets only
provides a means of precise frequency control on
(e) Check for air bubble formations which
precise generator sets. The system consists of a
will indicate leaks.
sump, a replaceable element type filter, a gear
type positive displacement pump and a hydraulic
(f) Remove hydraulic sump from container.
actuator unit. The hydraulic pump draws oil from
Release air pressure. Thoroughly dry exterior prior
the sump and forces it through the filter. From
to removing cap and dipstick assembly, plug, or
the filter, the oil flows to the hydraulic actuator
fitting in prevent entry of water into hydraulic
unit. An electrically controlled set of valves
alters the path of the oil which determines the
positioning of the governor control linkage. The
position of the governor control linkage determines
the fuel pump governor setting, which sets engine
Steam clean the interior of the sump for
speed. Changes in engine speed causes a corres-
a period of 2 hours to remove residual
ponding increase or decrease in generator output
vapors prior to welding.
(7) Repair leaks and cracked or broken welds
3-390 HYDRAULIC SUMP.
(8) Test repairs as outlined in step (6)
(1) Refer to the Operator and Organizational
Maintenance Manual and draft the hydraulic sump.
(9) Remove deiective paint, treat, and
(2) Disconnect hydraulic lines (1, figure
(10) Markings shall be in accordance with
using service requirements.
screws (4) to remove hydraulic sump (5).
(11) Repair minor thread damage with a
(4) Remove cap and dipstick assembly (6)
and elbows (7) from sump.
(12) Replace any excessively damaged parts.
Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
(1) Clean all parts in an approved solvent
and dry thoroughly with filtered compressed air.
(2) Install cap and dipstick, assembly (6) in
(2) Flush interior of sump with an approved
hydraulic sump (5) and secure with screws (4), lock-
solvent and dry thoroughly.
washers (3) and nuts (2).
(3) Visually inspect hydraulic sump for
(3) Connect hydraulic lines (l).
cracked or broken welds, defective paint, illegible
markings, and dents.
3-40. HYDRAULIC PUMP ASSEMBLY.
(4) Inspect cap and dipstick assembly for
corrosion, bent dipstick, and other damage.
(1) Refer to the Operator and Orqanizational
(5) Check all threads forcrossing,
Maintenance Manual and drain the hydraulic sump.
stripping, and peening.
(2) Remove hydraulic lines and fittings from
(6) Test hydraulic sump for leaks as follows:
hydraulic pump assembly.
(a) Securely install cap and dipstick
(2) and flat washers (3) to remove hydraulic pump
assembly and gasket (4). Discard gasket.
(b) Install a plug in outlet connection.
b. Disassembly. Disassemble hydraulic pump
(c) Install a fitting in inletopening and
assembly (items 5 through 31) as required to
connect an air line.
clean, inspect and replace parts.
3-50 Change 5