ARMY TM 9-6115-464-12
AIR FORCE TO 35C2-3-445-1
NAVY NAVFAC P-8-624-12
(s) Install solenoid frame assembly (11) and screws (10). Tighten damp (9).
(t) Install terminal lead (8) and secure with lockwasher (7), nut (6), lockwasher (5) and nut (4).
(u) Install electrical lead (3) and secure with lockwasher (2) and nut (1).
(1) Check specific gravity of batteries to determine state of charge (paragraph 4-14). Charge or replace bat-
teries if necessary.
(2) Open the right side engine compartment access door. Listen for audible evidence of solenoid actuation
while someone attempts to start the generator set (Figure 1-4).
(3) If no sounds of solenoid actuation are heard, proceed as follows:
(a) Set selector switch of a multimeter to the 50 Vdc position.
Maintain proper polarity when connecting multimeter. Electrical lead (3,
Figure 4-6) Is positive lead. Equipment damage could result if caution is not
(b) Connect multimeter between positive solenoid terminal and starter ground terminal.
(c) If multimeter does not indicate approximately 24 Vdc, trouble is in wiring and not the solenoid.
Always disconnect negative (ground) cable first. Equipment damage could
result if caution is not observed.
(d) If multimeter indicates approximately 24 Vdc, disconnect leads from starter.
Using multimeter as an ohmmeter, check for indication of open circuit across solenoid terminals.
If multimeter indicates open circuit, replace solenoid (subparagraph c. (2) above).
If multimeter indicates continuity, reconnect electrical leads.
(4) If solenoid actuates, but starter will not rotate engine, proceed as follows:
(a) Set selector switch of multimeter to the 50 Vdc position.
Maintain proper polarity when connecting multimeter. Equipment damage
could result if caution is not observed.
(b) Connect multimeter between starter-to-solenoid terminal and ground terminal.
(c) Observe multimeter while assistant attempts to start the generator set.
(d) If multimeter does not indicate approximately 24 Vdc, replace solenoid assembly (paragraph c. (2)
(e) if multimeter indicates correct voltage, check brush length (paragraph c. (1) above). Replace
brushes if necessary.
(5) If trouble persists, replace starter assembly.
(1) Install starter assembly with lockwashers and three bolts to the bell housing.
(2) Untag and reconnect electrical leads to starter assembly (Figure-4-4).