ARMY TM 9-6115-464-12
AIR FORCE TO 35C2-3-445-1
NAVY NAVFAC P-8-624-12
4-17 STARTER ASSEMBLY
Effective with serial numbers KZ00001 through KZ01226 and RZ60001 and up.
(1) Tag and disconnect electrical leads to starter assembly (Figure 4-7).
(2) Remove three bolts and lockwashers to remove starter from bell housing.
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Clean starter assembly with a clean, lint-free cloth moistened with an approved solvent.
(2) Inspect starter assembly for cracks, corrosion, evidence of shorting and other damage.
(3) Inspect solenoid assembly for cracks, corrosion, evidence of shorting and other damage.
(4) Inspect all threaded parts for stripped or damaged threads.
Using prick punch, pin prick mark points of contact between the dnve housing and
shifter (lever) housing, and main housing and commutator end frame so that parts
may be realigned accurately when reassembling. Refer to Figure 4-7.
(1) Brush replacement.
It is not necessary to remove the starter assembly from the engine to replace the
Remove screws (1, Figure 4-8) and lockwashers (2).
Carefully remove commutator end frame (3) and O-ring (4).
Remove screws (5 and 8) to remove electrical leads (6 and 9) and brushes (7 and 10).
Remove brushholder pin (12) to remove brushhholder spring (13) and brushholders (14 and 15)
from brush support.
Clean commutator end frame, brush support, brushholders, and brushholder springs in an ap-
proved solvent and dry thoroughly.
Measure brush length. Replace brushes if length is 3/8 inch or less.
Use extreme care to avoid enlarging commutator slots. Equipment damage
could result if caution is not observed.
Inspect starter armature commutator slots for thrown solder. Remove any found with a narrow
Check bronze bushing in commutator end frame and armature shaft for deep wear patterns,
scoring, or other damage. Replace starter assembly if damage exists.
Check brushholders and brush support for corrosion, cracks, breaks, and other damage. Re-
place any defective parts.
Inspect electrical leads and visible starter assembly wiring for burned insulation, bare wires and
rub marks. Replace starter assembly if damage is present.