(3) Lift and rotate camshaft slightly while pulling
(4) Tag camshaft to identify left-bank or right-
(1) Check camshaft bushing journals with
micrometer. Replace camshaft if journals
are worn beyond 2.120 inches (53.85 mm).
(2) Replace camshaft that has scuffed, scored,
or cracked injector valve lobes.
camshaft journals and lobes. Carefully
rotate camshaft through bores into position.
(2) Slide the camshaft into position with two "0"
marks on camshaft gear aligned with "0"
marks on side of timing gear.
(3) Attach a dial indicator to gear case. Place
indicator to gear case. Place indicator arm
on camshaft gear teeth.
(4) Rotate gears by hand to advance position;
"zero" indicator. There must be a minimum
of 0.003 inch (0.08 mm).
Section VIII. PISTON AND.RINGS
PISTON CONNECTING RODS, CONNECTING
ROD BEARINGS, PISTON PINS, AND RINGS. To
inspect and replace the pistons and connecting rods,
refer to figure 13-47 and proceed as follows:
(1) Clean all carbon from upper inside wall of
each cylinder liner with ridge reamer and
fine emery cloth.
(2) Remove connecting rod bolt nuts (2) and
(3) Pull caps (7) and bearing shells (5) from
(4) Tape bearing shells together and label each
pair by cylinder number for later reference.
(5) Using a soft hammer, drive rod bolts (4)
Do not mutilate inner walls of cylinder
(6) Push connecting rod and piston assembly
from cylinder liners with a wooden stick,
holding pistons so they will not be lost or
(7) Reassemble each connecting rod cap to
assembly as it is removed; the rod caps are
not interchangeable. Label each assembly
by cylinder number.
Rods and caps are matched assemblies;
stamped, so they can be reassembled
correctly. Phase 3 rods are stamped 1/4
inch (6.4 mm) either side of the bolt hole
centerline. If a new assembly is used, be
sure to stamp before installing in engine.
(8) Remove piston snap rings (9).
(9) To facilitate removal of piston pins (10), first
heat piston in boiling water, then push pin
from piston, using finger pressure. Do not
drive or otherwise force pin from piston.
(10) Remove piston rings (13, 14, 15, and 16).
(11) Remove cylinder liners from