(7) Check end play of the crankshaft using a dial
Tap crankshaft with a soft-headed hammer
in one direction to take up slack or end play. After
dial indicator is set in place, force crankshaft with a
pry bar in opposite direction to obtain end play read-
ing. The end play is 0.007 to 0.013 inch. The end
play is controlled by thrust flanges at the center main
bearing. If end play is not within the allowable range,
replace thrust flanges.
Thrust flanges are available
in standard thickness (0. 126 to 0. 127 inch) and 0.005,
0.010, and 0. 015 inch oversize.
(8) Install piston and connecting rod assembly.
(9) Install crankshaft gear and timing gear
housing. (para 14-75.)
(10) Install flywheel housing. (para 14-70.)
(11) Install oil pump and oil pan. (para 14-67.)
(12) Install crankshaft pulley and vibration
dampener. (para 14-63.)
(13) Refer to Operator and Organizational
Maintenance Manual and install electric starter,
winterization kits (if installed), manifolds, turbo-
charger, radiator and housing.
c. Camshaft beari ng installation.
(1) Position new bearing so that oil hole in
bearing lines up with oil hole in cylinder block.
(2) Front bearing must be installed so that bear-
ing end is flush with or below front side of cylinder
(3) The rear and intermediate bearings are alike.
The rear bearing should be installed with the bearing
end flush with the front side of the cylinder block bear-
When a new camshaft rear bearing is installed
in place, the old rear bearing will remain partly
in the cylinder block.
Use a punch and collapse
the old bearing, preferably at the seam, and
remove the old bearing with pliers.
(4) Install remaining bearings.
(5) Install cylinder sleeve. (Refer to step a.
(6) Install cylinder head and valve operating
(7) Install crankshaft. (Refer to step b. above.)
(8) Install piston and connecting rod assemblies.
(9) Install timing gears and housing. (para
(10) Install flywheel and housing. (para 14-70.)
(11) Install oil pump and oil pan. (para 14-65.)
(12) Refer to Operator and Organizational
Maintenance Manual and install valve cover, manifolds.
turbocharger, radiator, electric starter and housing.
d. Oil Pressure Regulating Valve Installation and
(1) Thoroughly clean valve bore in cylinder
block, lubricate valve piston with clean oil and install
the regulating valve components in the reverse order
(2) Turn valve adjusting screw into cylinder
block the same number of turns required for removal.
(3) With the engine re-installed in the generator
set, start the engine and allow it to reach normal
Adjust oil pressure regula-
tion screw to obtain oil pressure of 45 psi. No further
adjustment should be necessary.
e. Oil Pressure R egulating Valve Removal.
Remove oil pressure regulating valve in the order of
sequence numbers (items 31-36, figure 14-41,
(1) Thoroughly clean the area around the cylin-
der block where the pressure regulating valve is lo-
(2) Loosen jam nut.
(3) Remove regulating valve screw,
ber of turns required for removal.
(4) Withdraw the spacer, spring and
f. Oil Pressure Regulating Valve Cleaning
Inspection and Repair.
(1) Wash valve parts in cleaning solvent and in-
spect carefully for wear or damage.
(2) Inspect the valve seat in the cylinder block
and clean if necessary.
(3) Replace any necessary parts.
14-96 Change 8