ARMY TM 9-6115-604-12
NAVY NAVFAC P 8 633-12
SECTION XIV. MAINTENANCE OF CONTROLS, INSTRUMENTS, AND SWITCHGEAR
Failure to observe and comply with all safety requirements may result in death by
electrocution. Maintenance procedures for high voltage equipment are contained
in this section. Read and be thoroughly familiar with the safety procedures
contained in Chapter 1, Section III , of this manual.
GENERAL. Generator set controls, instruments, and switchgear are panel mounted in the control compartment.
unit maintenance consists of testing and replacing controls, instruments, and switchgear. Repair procedures for the
panels are found In paragraph 4-88, below.
MAINTENANCE OF ANNUNCIATOR, GENERATOR, AND ENGINE CONTROL PANELS . Repair control
panels. Repaint in accordance with MIL-T- 704 as necessary. Repair and replace gages, switches, and indicators in
accordance with applicable paragraphs in this section.
CONTROL ROOM HEATERS HR103 AND HR104. Wall-mounted heaters (2, Figure 4-62) are parallel-
connected and supplied with 240 V ac through circuit breaker CB118 (located In distribution panel DP2). Each heater is
supplied with an integral ON/OFF switch and temperature level control and is used to heat the control room.
(1) Set circuit breaker CB118 (12, Figure 2-7) in the OFF position.
(2) Set multimeter to RX1 scale and check ON/OFF function of thermostat switch The multimeter should
Indicate infinite resistance when thermostat switch is set to the OFF position and zero resistance when
thermostat switch is set to the ON position.
(3) Check heater coil for continuity. Resistance indicated should be 45 8 ohms.
(1) Set circuit breaker CB118 (12, Figure 2-7) in the OFF position
(2) Remove heater cover (7). Tag and disconnect wiring to the radiant heaters HR103 and HR104 (2, Figure 4-
(3) Remove the hexagon head capscrews (1) and hexagonal nuts (5) that secure the heaters (2) to the left and
right mounting brackets (3 and 4), and remove the heaters.
(4) Remove the hexagon head capscrews (1) and lockwashers (6) that secure the left and right mounting
brackets (3 and 4) to the wall, and remove the brackets.
(1) Secure the left and right mounting brackets (3 and 4) to the wall with hexagon head capscrews (1) and
(2) Place the heaters (2) In position and secure to brackets with hexagon head capscrews (1) and hexagonal
(3) Connect wires and discard tags.
(4) Attach heater cover (7) to close unit.
(5) Close circuit breaker CB118 and check for proper operation.