(2) Press first oil seal (19) into drive cover with lip
toward outside of pump, and press second oil
seal into drive cover with sealing lip toward
inside of fuel pump. Seals must be spaced so
that the "tell tale" hole is not covered.
(3) Lubricate oil seal assembly tool and install tool
over main shaft (25). Place snap ring (23)
between drive gear (22) and bearing (24).
Press main shaft into front cover and through
seals. Secure snap ring (23) in cover groove.
Remove oil seal assembly tool and install
(4) Line up oil groove in top of tachometer drive
bushing (10) with fuel pump drive shaft. Press
gear (11), bushing (10), and shaft (9) into cover
until bushing bottoms.
(5) Install new oil seal (8)
(6) Cover top of seal with a thin coat of lubricating
oil. Secure tachometer connector (7) to cover.
(7) Install key (15), press gear (17), hub (14,) and
spacer (16) into position on drive shaft (25).
Press slow and straight. Be sure tachometer
gear teeth are aligned.
(8) Secure with screw (13).
(9) Install carrier (24, figure 13-4) into front cover.
Mesh gears to avoid gear tooth damage. Rotate
weight assembly, with weights opened out to be
sure it will turn completely in housing.
Install main shaft cover assembly to engine
assembly with four capscrews and washers.
Replace the fuel pump.
Section III. OIL FILTER AND SENSORS
LUBRICATING OIL COOLER. To test and
repair the lubricating oil cooler, refer to figure 13-14 and
13-15 and proceed as follows:
Figure 13-15 is given for informational
purposes only, since older models
may not contain removable cores.
(1) Refer to the Operator/Crew Organizational
Maintenance manual for inspection and removal
(2) Clamp cooler assembly in fixture and assemble
(3) Place unit in water tank with spring side down.
and apply 1 to 4 psi (7 to 28 kPa) air pressure to
(4) Inspect for air leaks and porosity in castings.
(5) Apply 35 to 45 psi (241 to 176 kPa) to oil side.
(6) Inspect for air leaks and porosity in castings.
Repair and Reassembly. To repair the lubricating
oil cooler, refer to figure 13-14, and proceed as
(1) Remove screws (33), cover (36), and gasket
(38). Then remove screws (26), washer (27),
screw (25), connection (28) and gasket (29).