(4) Apply a thin coat of petroleum jelly to the
thrust washer (29, figure 7-34) and assemble it to the
hub on the face gear (28).
(5) Carefully center spring ring (27) on hydraulic
(6) Position the face gear (28) and thrust washer
(29) over the end of the plunger and align the head of
the plunger sleeve pin with its mating slot located on
the inside of the face gear (28).
Do not use excessive pressure. If gear will
not snap into place easily, remove gear and
check to see that spring ring (27) is centered,
and that plunger drive pin (1, figure 7-38) is
(7) Press the face gear (28, figure 7-34) onto the
hydraulic head (17). Make certain that the spring ring
(27) snaps into its mating groove in the face gear (28).
Manually operate the plunger up and down. Free
movement of the plunger indicates that the face gear
has been correctly assembled to the hydraulic head.
(8) With head still in an inverted position, raise
plunger (35) to its highest position.
(9) Apply grease to exposed position of plunger
to keep it in its highest position.
(10) Install spring (26) and spring retaining
washer (24), snap spring seat (25) into place on the
plunger head (35).
(11) Install the plunger button (23) onto the end of
the plunger and secure it by snapping the spring ring
(22) into its mating groove in the lower spring seat
(12) Check to make sure that the button spring
ring (22) fits tightly into its groove in the lower spring
seat (25). Loose spring rings (22) must be replaced.
(13) Apply a thin coat of petroleum jelly to the
tappet O ring (21) and install it into its groove on
the tappet (20). Apply thin coat of petroleum jelly to
inside of tappet. Insert the tappet (20) into the face
(14) Apply a thin coat of petroleum jelly to the
hydraulic head O rings (18 and 19). Insert O ring
into the head bore of the pump housing (6). Install the
"O" ring into its groove on the upper portion of the
hydraulic head. Ensure O rings seat properly.
(15) Clamp pump mounting fixture in a vise, in-
stall pump housing in fixture, then carefully insert
the hydraulic head into the pump housing so that the
locating slot in the hydraulic head is in line with the
locating screw hole in the pump housing (not seating).
(16) Install the head locating screw gasket (14)
and the head locating screw (13) into the locating
screw hole in the pump housing (6). Slight reposition-
ing of the hydraulic head maybe necessary to properly
install the head locating screw. DO NOT USE FORCE.
Tighten screw (13) to a torque of 90 to 100 inch-
pound. Install head retaining clamps (16) and screws
(15). Alternately tighten screws (15) at opposite cor-
ners of housing (6) to properly seat the head assem-
bly (17) in the housing. Tighten screws (15) to 13 to
15 ft-lbs. Insert the timing screw (31) and its gasket
(32) into the timing screw hole in the pump housing.
Tighten the timing screw to a torque of 20 to 25 inch-
(17) Install the delivery valve spacer (12), de-
livery valve assembly (11), delivery valve spring (10)
and delivery valve holder (9), tighten delivery valve
holder to a torque of 70-75 ft-lbs. Install delivery
valve cap nut (7) and gasket (8). Torque nut to 55-60
(18) Insert pin (37, figure 7-34) and flatwasher
(38) into lower hole of lever on control unit assembly
(4) and secure with lockwasher (39) and nut (40).
Tighten to 20-25 inch-pounds.
(19) Apply a film of grease, LU 3003, to the con-
trol unit O ring (33, figure 7-34), then install "O"
ring in groove in control unit assembly. Ensure that
"O" ring is seated. Apply oil to plunger sleeve pin (5)
and insert the plunger sleeve pin (5) into the control
unit assembly (4).
Figure 7-39. Control Unit Assembly
7 - 3 6