(3) Place the control rack of the pump in its
g. Flow Timing of the Fuel Injection Pump.
full fuel position.
Whenever a fuel injection pump has been completely
disassembled and reassembled, it is necessary that both
(4) Remove the delivery valve holder (64, fig.
15) from cylinder number one.
even though none of the component parts were
replaced. Timing in this particular case does not refer to
Number one pumping
the setting of the fuel injection pump to the engine, but
element is plunger nearest to drive
refers to the internal adjustment of the various pumping
elements, which in a multi-cylinder injection pump must
each function at a definite time in relation to the rotation
(5) Remove the delivery valve and its spring
of the camshaft. For instance, in a six cylinder pump,
injection must take place every 60 degrees of pump
The valve body must remain in position.
DO NOT USE MAGNET.
(1) Connect the supply tank, filter and shutoff
valve to the inlet connection of the
Needle nose pliers are permissible.
(6) To determine that there is sufficient
(2) Bleed the pump of all air by loosening one
clearance between maximum plunger
of the bleeder plugs located at top of the
stroke and the delivery valve body, check
this measurement as described in (f)