(5) Remove output cable from panel connec-
through DE generator unit skid base. Aline the
tions of generator set, and cable from distribution
four guide bolts over skid platform mounting
(6) Place hook of lifting device in lifting ring
(4) Slowly lower DE generator onto skid
at top center of DE generator unit and slowly lift
platform. Place nuts and washers on guide bolts
the DE generator unit from the trailer.
and tighten securely.
b. Installing Replacement DE Generator Unit
(5) Install distribution box, portable distri-
bution boxes, fuel cans, fire extinguishers, portable
(1) Be sure trailer is parked on a firm and
accessory box onto their respective mounting
level area; front and rear landing legs lowered;
bases. Install power cable to DE generator and
trailer hand brakes set, and loose tools and mount-
distribution box. Install cable reels and holddown
ing hardware removed from trailer frame.
(2) Lower and guide generator unit onto
5-10. Skid Platform (PU-408/M,
trailer frame. Aline mounting holes in skid base
with appropriate mounting holes in trailer frame.
Insert bolts and DE generator mounting support
a. General. To remove the skid platform after
pins in place and secure. Remove lifting device.
the DE generator unit and all ancillary items
(3) Install power outlet cable, distribution
box and its power cable, synchronizer assembly
lifting device of 5,000 pound capacity are required.
(PU-407/M) or switch box (PU-699/M), cable
To remove a fully equipped platform, four men
reels, fuel cans, portable distribution boxes and
and a 10,000 pound capacity lifting device are
portable accessory box to their respective mount-
ing brackets on trailer.
b. Removal. Release each skid platform hold-
down assembly (fig. 5-2), and attach sling assem-
c. Removal From Skid Platform (PU-4O8/M,
(1) Loosen bracket clamping bolt until free
of platform bracket assembly.
fuel cans, fire extinguisher, portable distribution
boxes and portable accessory box from skid plat-
(2) Remove vertical adjustment bolts.
(3) Slide adjustable bracket assembly and
(2) Remove the 18 cable reels and six hold-
clamp to one side of platform bracket assembly.
down rods from skid platform.
(4) Loosen horizontal adjustment bolts and
slide platform bracket assembly away from side
(3) Remove power cables from generator set
of cargo body.
and distribution box.
(5) Connect sling assembly and lifting bar to
(4) Remove bolts holding DE generator unit
to skid platform.
(5) Place hook of lifting device in lifting
ring at top center of DE generator unit and slowly
When lifting a fully equipped skid platform,
adjust turnbuckles on the two front sling leg
lift DE generator unit clear of skid platform. Do
cables to compensate for unequal weight distri-
not allow unit to swing freely.
(6) Drive cargo truck from under DE gen-
(6) Lift skid platform and adjust turn-
buckles until skid platform is level.
d. Installing Replacement DE Generator Unit
(7) Raise skid platform and drive truck out
on Truck. To install DE generator unit on skid
from underneath it.
platform, four guide bolts 5/8-11 x 7-1/2 inches
c. Installation. Install skid platform to truck
long should be used,
and secure each holddown assembly as follows:
(1) See that truck is parked on a level area
(1) Connect sling assembly and lifting bar
and that skid platform is free of loose hardware.
(2) When installing a fully equipped skid
(2) Using lifting device attached to lifting
platform lift the skid platform and adjust turn-
ring of DE generator unit, lower and guide DE
buckles on the two front sling leg cables until the
generator unit to approximately six inches above
skid platform is level.