(9) Depress overspeed switch button located
at rear of diesel engine generator unit (accessible
through generator assembly, left or right door
(4) Place electric governor switch to on,
(5) Unlock engine throttle control, push it
in against control panel and lock in place.
b. Primary Fuel System.
(6) Adjust voltage adjusting rheostat for
(1) Remove vent plug from top of secondary
diesel voltage indication on volts meter.
fuel filter (accessible through diesel engine left
diesel frequency indication on frequency meter.
(2) Operate fuel primer pump until no air
bubbles emerge from filter assembly air vent.
(3) Replace vent plug in top of secondary
To turn generator set off in an emergency, oper-
(4) For new or rebuilt equipment, operate
fuel primer pump to pump fuel into dry tank
a. Normal Stopping.
for initial operation.
(1) Disconnect individual loads by placing
associated distribution panel circuit breaker at
Never prime day tank by pouring fuel
directly into tank; no filter is provided
(2) Disconnect overall load by placing the
between day tank and injection pump.
operating diesel engine unit main circuit breaker
c. Starting Diesel Engine.
(3) Pull engine throttle control out one inch
(1) Depress and hold start and stop switch
and allow diesel engine to run at a steady speed
at start until oil pressure gage reaches 10 pounds
for three minutes.
per square inch and diesel engine starts. Release
(4) Place electric governor switch to off,
start and stop switch to run.
(5) Place start and stop switch to stop.
Do not hold start and stop switch at start
If unit is not to be run for a period of 12 hours, or
over 30 seconds without allowing a 3-
is to be transported, turn the three-way engine
minute cooling period. If diesel engine
gate valve to off, and close diesel engine genera-
tor unit door assemblies.
does not start after a few attempts,
b. Automatic Stopping. Safety devices stop
perform the preoperational inspections
the diesel engine generator unit in event of low
oil pressure, high coolant temperature, and diesel
before reporting malfunctions to organi-
engine overspeed. If the diesel engine generator
unit is stopped automatically by a safety device,
(2) Allow diesel engine to run at a constant
speed (a (8) above) until water temperature gage
2-14, and 2-15. If the diesel engine generator
indicates between 110 and ItIO"F,
unit continues to stop automatically, notify or-
d. Energizing Generator Assembiy.
(1) Perform procedures, given in c above.
(2) Momentarily place field flashing switch
a. Normal Operating Procedures With Syn-
located below frequency meter (fig. 2-6) in up-
chronizer Assembly (PU-407/M).
(1) Insure that input power cable from both
generator sets and both parallel roller are properly
If AC volts meter does not indicate a
voltage buildup, the diesel engine is not
(2) Lift load terminal cover and connect
up to rated speed, unlock engine throttle
load cables to power cable output terminals of
control, push in slightly, lock in place,
and repeat procedure given in (2) above.
Never place field flashing switch in up-
at a fast idle until engines are warmed to proper
ward position for longer than a few
operating temperature; given to required RPMs
then check voltage and cycles.