The terminal lug supplied with the ground rod is too small. Use additional ground strap
provided with power unit.
(1) Install impact disk (3) on rod (4). Tighten impact disk to end of threads on rod (4).
(2) Install lock washer (2) and nut (1). Tighten nut (1) and lock washer (2) securely against impact disk (3).
(3) If installed, remove nut (6).
(4) Position hammer (5) on rod (4). Install nut (6) and tighten to end of threads on rod (4).
Connect ground rod coupling (10) to ground rod (7) and screw slide hammer into coupling (10). Make sure that slide
hammer rod (4) seats on ground rod (7).
Drive ground rod into ground until coupling is just above surface.
Remove slide hammer assembly and install another section of ground rod (7).
Install another coupling (10) and the slide hammer assembly. Drive ground rod down until new coupling is just above
Repeat steps d and e until ground rod has been driven eight feet or deeper, providing an effective ground.
Connect clamp (9) and ground cable (8) to ground rod (7) and tighten clamp screw.
Connect ground cable (8) to trailer as follows.
Ground terminal on high mobility trailer is different than one used on other trailers.
(1) If the high mobility trailer (PU-798A and PU-799A) is being used, perform steps (5) and (6). Otherwise, perform
steps (2) through (4).
(2) Remove and retain wing nut (1, figure 2-7) and flat washer (2) from trailer ground stud (4) and install ground cable
terminal lug (3) to ground stud (4).
(3) Install flat washer (2) on ground stud (4).
(4) Install wing nut (1) on the ground stud (4) and tighten.
(5) Loosen nut (5) on high mobility trailer ground terminal (6).
(6) Insert wire (7) through slot of ground terminal (6) and tighten nut (5).
Change 2 2-31