ARMY TM 9-6115-464-34
AIR FORCE TO 35C2-3-445-2
NAVY NAVFAC P-8-624-34
(1) Using a piston ring expander install oil control ring (23, figure 3-52), scraper ring (22) and
compression rings (21 ) onto pistons (24).
If replacement piston rings have dots on the rings, the rings should be installed with the
dots toward the piston head.
(2) Apply a light coat of engine oil to the bushing (19) and connecting rod (18) and press the bushing
into the connecting rod.
(3) Fit piston assemblies (17) onto connecting rods (18) and insert piston pins (16). Install retaining rings
Prior to installation of piston assemblies inspect cylinder block (paragraph 3-57),
camshaft (paragraph 355) and cylinder head (paragraph 3-54) prior to installation of
the piston, connecting rods and crankshaft.
(1) Install upper half of main bearings (7 and 11, figure 3-52) into cylinder block.
Some of the bearings partially cover oil holes.
(2) Carefully place crankshaft (12) into position.
(3) Place a short strip of plastic gauge on each main bearing journal.
(4) Install lower half of main bearings, main bearing caps (6 and 10), Iockwashers (5 and 9) and screws
(4 and 8).
(5) lighten screws (4) to 100 ft.-lbs. torque. Tighten screws (8) to 130 ft.-lbs. torque.
(6) Remove main bearing cap and lower half of main bearings. Check plastic gauge against standard to
determine main bearing clearance. Clearance shall be 0.0009 to 0.0034 inch.
(7) If clearance is not within specified limits, grind crankshaft and install with undersized bearings
(paragraph c (7) above).
(8) When bearing clearances have been established, install lower half of main bearings and main
bearing caps ((5) above).
Apply a liberal coating of engine lubricating oil to inner surface of main bearings prior to
(9) Use a feeler gauge to check crankshaft end thrust clearance on center main bearing. End thrust
clearance shall be 0.0050 to 0.0100 inch.
(10) If end thrust clearance is not as specified, remove center main bearing and polish sides on a piece of
crocus cloth. Clean to remove abrasive residue and apply a liberal coating of engine lubricating oil