ARMY TM 9-6115-464-34
AIR FORCE 35C2-3-445-2
NAVY NAVFAC P-8-624-34
(11) Apply a liberal coating of engine Iubricating oil to cylinder bores, pistons, piston rings and piston pins.
Proper position of the oil ring gap is with the gap aligned with either piston pin hole.
(12) Position piston rings so that no two gaps are aligned.
Use care to insure that connecting rod is properly aligned with crankshaft connecting
rod bearing journal and that the precombustion chamber is away from the camshaft
side of the engine. Failure to observe this caution could result in equipment damage.
(13) With piston rings compressed, use a hammer handle or wooden dowel to force piston down into
(14) When entire piston is in cylinder bore, insert upper half of connecting rod bearing (3, figure 3-52)
and pull connecting rod down to crankshaft.
(15) Place a short strip of plastic gauge on crankshaft and install lower half of connecting rod bearing,
connecting rod bearing cap (2) and screws (1). Tighten screws to 70 Ib-ft torque.
(16) Remove screws and connecting rod bearing cap to remove plastic gauge.
(17) Check plastic gauge against standard to determine bearing clearance. Clearance shall be 0.0010 to
(18) When clearance is established, install lower bearing half, bearing cap and screws (step 16, above).
(19) Install timing gear housing and assembly.
(20) Install cylinder head and rocker arm assembly (paragraph 3-54).
(21) Install flywheel and flywheel housing (paragraph 3-50).
(22) Install oil pump assembly (paragraph 3-38).
3-57. CYLINDER BLOCK ASSEMBLY.
a. Removal and Disassembly.
(1) Remove engine assembly (paragraph 2-6).
(2) Remove timing gears and cover (paragraph 3-51).
(3) Remove flywheel and flywheel housing (paragraph 3-50).
(4) Remove cylinder head and rocker arm assembly (paragraph 3-54).
(5) Remove camshaft and bearings (paragraph 3-55).
(6) Remove timing gear housing (paragraph 3-51).
(7) Remove crankshaft, connecting rods, and pistons (paragraph 3-56).
(8) Remove plugs (1 and 2, figure 3-53).
(9) Do not remove oil filler neck and captive cap assembly (3) or stud (4) unless inspection reveals
(10) Do not remove studs (5 and 6) or guide pin (7) unless inspection reveals damage.
(11) Do not remove studs (8) and guide pin (9) unless inspection reveals damage.
(12) Do not remove studs (10, 11, 12 and 13) or guide pin (14) unless inspection reveals damage.