ARMY TM 9-6115-464-34
AIR FORCE 35C2-3-445-2
NAVY NAVFAC P-8-624-34
(3) Install camshaft (5, figure 3-50) with Iockwashers (2) and screws (1).
(4) Refer to the Operator and Unit Maintenance Manual to install fuel filter assemblies,
(5) Install rocker arm assembly and push rods (paragraph 3-54).
(6) Install timing gear cover (paragraph 3-51).
(7) Install oil pump assembly (paragraph 3-38).
(8) Install oil pan (paragraph 3-37).
(9) Check camshaft end thrust as follows:
(a) Attach a dial indicator to the cylinder block and position so that the foot contacts the end of the
(b) Press camshaft as far into the cylinder block as it will go.
(c) Se tdial indicator to zero position.
(d) Move camshaft as far forward as it will go.
(e) Check indicator reading. Reading shall not exceed 0.0120.
(f) If reading exceeds specified limit, remove camshaft and replace thrust plate.
(10) Check backlash between camshaft drive gear and crankshaft gear. Backlash shall be 0.0010 to
0.0030. If backlash is not within specified limits, both camshaft drive gear and crankshaft gear must
3-56. CRANKSHAFT, CONNECTING RODS, AND PISTONS.
(1) Remove oil pump assembly (paragraph 3-38).
(2) Remove flywheel and flywheel housing (paragraph 3-50).
(3) Remove cylinder head and rocker arm assembly (paragraph 3-54).
(4) Using a ridge cutter, remove the ridge from the top of each cylinder.
(5) Remove screws (1, figure 3-52) and connecting rod bearing caps (2) and lower half of connecting
rod bearing insert (3).
(6) Using a wooden dowel, push pistons and connecting rods out top of cylinder block.
Rotate crankshaft to simplify removal if necessary.
(7) Remove upper half of connecting rod bearing insert.
Keep connecting rod bearing caps with the connecting rod from which they were
removed. Failure to observe this caution could result in equipment damage.
(8) Remove screws (4) and Iockwashers (5) to remove main bearing caps (6) and lower half of main
bearing inserts (7).
(9) Remove screws (8) and Iockwashers (9) to remove main bearing cap (10) and lower half of center
main bearing insert (11).
(10) Lift crankshaft (12) from cylinder block and remove upper half of main bearing inserts.