(1) Check that breather hole in cylinder head is
(2) Clean mating surfaces of cylinder block and
cylinder head. Make certain that cylinder
walls are clean and well lubricated with
clean lubricating oil.
(3) Check head gasket to be sure all grommets
and seals are in position. Install gasket over
dowels so that the work "top" on gasket is
lubricating oil passage between cylinder
head and block.
(5) Install guide studs into block.
(6) Carefully lower cylinder heads over guide
studs and dowels.
(7) Remove guide studs.
(8) Lubricate capscrew threads with clean
engine lubricating oil and allow oil to drain
Excessive oil in capscrew holes in block
could cause an error in torque value
when cylinder head capscrews are
(9) Lubricate washers and cap- screw head
washer mating surfaces with SAE 140-W
Figure 13-39. Pushrods and Tappets, Code A