sleeves. Visually check sleeves which pass
pressure test, for scratches on cup seat
area. If seat area is scratched, mark for
(7) Injector tip Protrusion Test. Cylinder heads
that have passed the above tests must be
checked further for injector tip protrusion
(seat depth) and seating pattern.
(a) Lightly coat injector cup with bluing,
install injector assembly into injector
sleeve of head and torque to 11 to 12-
foot-pounds (15 to 16 joules). Remove
and check seat pattern. Bluing band
must be 0.060 inch (1.5 mm) minimum
in width and located approximately
15.32 inch (11.9 mm) from bottom of
(b) Measure tip protrusion with dial indicator
protrusion must be 0.045 to 0.055 inch
(1.14 to 1.40 mm).
micrometers. See tabulated data in Chapter
1 for worn replacement limits.
(9) Check guide for straightness. It should be
at right angles with milled surface of head.
Replace if not straight.
(10) Check crosshead guide protrusion above
cylinder head. Protrusion should be 1.860
to 1.880 inch (47.24 to 47.75 mm).
(11) Check stem inside diameter (3, figure 13-
43) using a small bore gauge set at 0.4402
inch (11.181 mm). Use as a "No Go"
(12) Check for out-of-round
Figure 13-43. Crosshead Dimensions
holes. Do not use plug gauge for this
(13) Visually check for excessive wear on
rocker lever (1) and valve stem contact
surface (2). Check adjusting screw and
distortion. Mark for replacement, if
excessive wear is found.
(14) Check reamed depth of crosshead bore,
minimum of 1.00 inch (25.4 mm) in depth,
underside of crosshead should be 0.120 to
0.140 inch (3.05 to 3.56 mm).
(15) Check valve guide inside diameter (bore)
using a small bore gauge set at 0.4545
inch (11.544 mm). Use bore gauge as "No
Go" gauge (refer to tabulated data in
(16) Check for out-of-round holes, gauge at
several points crosswise and endwise of
head full length of guide. Do not use a
plug gauge for this operation. Visually
check valve guides for chips, cracks, or
burrs. Mark for replacement any guides
showing excessive wear or damage.
Rebuilding. Proceed as follows:
(1) Coat water passage sleeves with sealant,
align sleeve in top of water passage hole,
drive into position