0.41 mm); check clearance with feeler
(7) Install guide studs in engine block.
(8) Install new gasket (28, figure 13-36).
(9) Secure gear cover with capscrews (27),
lockwashers (21) and screws (20).
Section VII. CYLINDER HEAD AND VALVE OPERATING MECHANISM
GENERAL. The following paragraphs contain
maintenance instructions for components comprising the
ROCKER ARM SHAFT AND ROCKER ARM
ASSEMBLY. To service the rocker arm shaft and
rocker arm assembly, refer to figure 13-38 and proceed
as specified in the following paragraphs:
Removal. Proceed as follows:
Organizational Maintenance manual for
inspection and cylinder head cover removal
(2) Remove pipe plug (12).
(3) Remove pipe plug (13) from end of rocker
lever housing (8), and set screw in bottom
of housing that secures shaft.
(4) Use a flat or drift punch to force out shaft
(14) and cup plug (11).
(5) Locate shaft in V-block and remove shaft
(6) Remove rocker levers from housing. Tag
rocker levers for correct position as re-
moved to ensure proper reassembly.
(7) Remove adjusting screw lock nuts (17) and
(25) and adjusting screws (18) and (26).
Repair of Rocker Arm Shaft Assembly.
(1) If shaft outside diameter is not between
1.123 inches to 1.124 inches (28.52 mm to
28.55 mm) replace shaft.
(2) Rocker arm shaft bore inside diameter
should be 1.243 to 1.125 inches (28.577 to
28.558 mm). If lever shaft does not meet
these dimensions, replace shaft.
(1) Install adjusting screws (20) and (24) and
locknuts (19) and (23) in rocker levers.
lubricating oil. Start shaft (14) into housing
(8). Install levers on shaft as shaft is
pushed through housing.
(3) Coat cup plug (11) contact surfaces with
Locktite sealer. Install new cup plug (11) in
rocker lever housing (8).
(4) Install pipe plug (13) and shaft plug (15) in
end of rocker lever housing. Use sealing
tape or Locktite to prevent oil leakage.
(5) Check all levers for freedom of movement
(6) Install pipe plug (12).
(7) Tighten shaft lockscrews (18) and (26) and
adjust so screws contact valve stem, then
advance 20 degrees and lock with nuts (17)
On worn crosshead and guide, it may be
necessary to advance 30 degrees to
straighten crosshead to guide.
(8) Hold adjusting screw in