approaching the appearance of a layer
necessary. If this cannot be cleaned
satisfactorily, replace turbocharger.
(6) Replace hoses and clamps.
(1) Disconnect and remove oil inlet line (15)
and elbow (14). Plug line to minimize
(2) Disconnect and remove oil return line (9)
and adapter (8). Plug line to minimize
(3) Loosen clamps (1, 16, and 18). Remove
hoses (2 and 17).
turbocharger to exhaust manifold.
(5) Remove turbocharger by separating unit
from exhaust elbow (22) and lifting clear of
While turbocharger is off the engine,
keep all intake and exhaust manifold
openings covered. This will prevent
foreign objects from accidentally getting
into the manifolds and damaging the
turbocharger or engine when the engine
is again put into operation.
(6) Position turbocharger on exhaust manifold.
Slide onto exhaust elbow (22).
(7) Secure turbocharger with nuts (19).
(8) Install hoses (2 and 17).
(9) Tighten all clamps (1, 16, and 18).
(10) Connect oil return line (9) using adapter (8).
Connect oil inlet line (15) using elbow
4-79. WATER PUMP. (See figure 4-40.)
All generator sets with engine serial
number 10605201 and higher are equipped
with a new style water pump (with idler
assembly). The new pump is removed in
the same manner as the old pump.
Replacement of Water Pump. (See figure 4-
(1) Drain engine coolant.
(2) Remove drive belts in accordance with
paragraph 4-67 b.
(3) Remove coolant hoses.
(4) To remove water pump remove eight
mounting bolts (on pumps not equipped with
idler assemblies) or five mounting bolts (on
pumps with idler assemblies).
(5) Install water pump with mounting hardware.
(6) Attach hoses.
(7) Install and adjust belts in accordance with
paragraph 4-67 b.
(8) Refill engine coolant; refer to tables 3-1 and
Inspection of Idler Assembly. Refer to figure 4-
52 and visually inspect locator spring (14) and
spring (15) for cracks or damage.
Replacement of Idler Assembly. After removing
water pump in accordance with paragraph a,
above, the idler assembly may be removed by
removing four screws (1) and washers (2).
Install new idler pulley assembly with four
screws (1) and washers (2).