c. Rebuild. If the wiring harness has sustained
damage and requires repair or rebuild, refer to figure 3-16
Refer to the Operator's and
for layout, Identification, and material requirements and
Organizational Maintenance Manual for engine wiring
appendix A for detailed soldering and replacement
harness installation procedure.
Section II. ENGINE FUEL SYSTEM
b. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
(1) Clean exterior surfaces of fuel tank and other
Fuel for generator set operation is supplied from either
nonmelectrica1 parts with dry cleaning solvent (Federal
the intcgral main fuel main tank or an auxilitary source as
determined by the fuel selector valve. Fuel is pumped
through the strainer and filter assembly and fuel solenoid
(2) Flush interior of fuel tank with an approved
valve into into by day tank by two electrically driven fuel
transfer pumps. The day tank fuel level and low fuel cutoff
(3) Inspect fuel tank assembly for cracked or
switch controls the operation of the fuel transfer pumps and
broken welds, dents, leaks, and other damage.
the fuel solenoid valve. Fuel from the day tank is drawn
through the secondary fuel filter assembly by the fuel
(4) Test fuel level sensor in accordance with
injection pump. This single cylinder, opposed plunger, inlet
instructions provided in Operator and Organizational
metering type pump forces a metered amount of fuel under
high pressure and in timed sequence to the fuel injection
nozzle holders in the engine cylinder head. The nozzle
holders spray a metered amount of fuel into each combustion
chamber. Unused fuel is returned to the day tank through
(6) Check all threads for crossing, stripping, and
the fuel return line.
MAIN FUEL TANK.
Steam clean interior of fuel tank for a
minimum of 2 hours to remove residual
vapors before attempting to repair welds.
(1) Refer to the Operator's and Organizational
Serious injury or death may result from
Maintenance Manual and accomplish the following:
failure to observe this warning.
(a) Drain the main fuel tank assembly.
(7) Repair cracked or broken welds and leaks by
welding. Refer to Appedix A for detailed instructions.
(b) Disconnect fuel lines and fittings from
main fuel tank.
(8) Repair damaged threads with a thrcad chaser.
(9) Replace any parts which are extensively
(c) Disconnect fuel vent system from main
(d) Disconnect engine wiring harness from
fuel level gauge.
(1) Install fuel tank (metal) in reverse order of
(e) Remove left and right ventilation doors,
ventilation louver panel, and lower cover panels from rear
Install filler neck hose with vent holes to top
(2) Remove main fuel tank (metal) by following
(2) Install main fuel tank (plastic) in reverse
the ascending numerical sequence of index numbers 1
(3) Remove main fuel tank (plasue) by following
Install filter neck hose with vent holes to top
the ascendlng numerical sequence numbers 1-17, as per