(1) Remove inspection plug(25) and gasket (26). Re-
move adjusting nut (27) to remove plunger (28).
Do not use dry cleaning solvent to clean
(2) Remove snap ring(29), o-ring (30), spring re-
tainer(31 ), spring (32), o-ring (33), spring retainer (34)
(1) Clean all metal nonelectrical parts in an approved
and washer (35) from plunger (28).
solvent and dry thoroughly with filtered compressed air.
move commutator end frame (38), o-ring (39) and space
When cleaning field coils, use extreme
care to avoid damaging protective in-
(4) Do not remove bushing (41) unless inspection
reveals damaged parts.
(2) Clean field coils with a clean, lint-free cloth lightly
(5) Remove pins (42) to remove brush springs (43) and
moistened with an approved solvent and dry thoroughly
with filtered compressed air.
(6) Remove screws (45), electrical leads (46) and
(3) Remove loose particles from armature with
brushes (47) from brushholders(44).
filtered compressed air and wipe clean with a cloth lightly
moistened with an approved solvent. Clean commutator
lightly with No. 00 grit sandpaper. Remove all traces
(5C) to remove brush supports (51).
of dust with low pressure compressed air.
(8) Remove screws (52) to remove drive housing (53)
(4) Clean non-metallic washers, insulators, and seals
and o-ring (54).
with a clean, lint-free cloth lightly moistened with an
(9) Remove plug (55) and wick (56).
(1 O) Do not remove bushing (57) unless inspection re-
Do not allow solvent to contact brushes.
(11) Remove drive end washer (58).
(5) Clean brushes with a clean, lint-free cloth.
(12) Remove snap ring (59), lever shaft (60), lever (61 ),
(6) Inspect housing and frames for cracks, corrosion,
motor drive (62), and brake washer (63).
and distortion. Replace defective parts.
(13) Remove screws (64) and lockwashers (65) to re-
(7) Inspect bushings for wear, galling, and scores.
move lever housing (66) and o-ring (67).
Replace defective parts.
(14) Remove plug (68) and wick (69).
(8) Test armature for grounding as follows:
(15) Remove bushing (70) o-ring (71 ) and spacer
(a) Connect one lead of a test light to the arma-
(b) Touch the other test lead to each commutator
Use care when removing armature to
prevent damage to windings.
(c) If test light glows, armature is grounded and
must be replaced.
(16) Slide armature (73) from field frame (74).
(9) Test armature for short circuits as follows:
(17) Remove nut (75), washer (76) and insulating wa-
(a) Place armature on a growler fixture.
(18) Remove screws (78) to remove pole shoes (79),
(b) Activate the fixture and slowly rotate arma-
field coil (80) and insulator (81 ). Remove o-ring (82).
ture while touching armature lightly with a steel strip.
(19) Inspect field coil insulation (83). Replace if dam-
(c) Strip will vibrate against armature over
age is evident.
a shorted area.
e. Cleaning, Inspection and Repair.