ARMY TM 9-6115-464-34
AIR FORCE TO 35C2-3-445-2
NAVY NAVFAC P-8-624-34
Wear heat resistant gloves when handling heated flywheel to avoid serious burns.
Failure to observe this warning could result in servere personal injury or death.
(b) Remove flywheel and ring gear and lightly tap ring gear to separate.
(c) Heat replacement ring gear as in step (3) (a) above while freezing flywheel.
Wear heat resistant gloves when handling frozen flywheel and heated ring gear.
Failure to observe this caution could result in equipment damage.
(d) Quickly install heated ring gear onto frozen flywheel.
(4) Inspect flywheel housing for cracks, excessive corrosion, and defective paint.
(5) Repair cracks in flywheel housing by welding.
(6) Remove corrosion from flywheel housing with No. 00 grit abrasive paper soaked in oil. Clean
flywheel housing with dry cleaning solvent after removing corrosion.
(7) Repair defective paint by removing. Treat and paint.
(8) Replace oil seal each time flywheel housing is removed.
One flywheel bolt is off center to insure proper alignment.
(1) Using a suitable press, install new oil seal (12, figure 3-42) to flywheel housing.
(2) Install gasket (11), flywheel housing (10), with Iockwashers (9), screw (8), Iockwasher (7), screws (6),
Iockwashers (5) and nut (4).
(3) Install ring gear(3), as an assembly onto flywheel (2) with screws (l).
(4) Install oil pan assembly (paragraph 3-37).
(1) Turn crankshaft to dead center (DC) position.
(2) Attach a dial indicator to flywheel housing and position so that foot rides on inner face of pilot bore
(see figure 3-43).
(3) Set dial indicator pointer to zero position.
(4) Slowly rotate crankshaft one complete revolution.
(5) Concentricity of pilot bore shall not vary 0.005 inch total reading.
(6) Position dial indicators that foot rides on outer face of flywheel (see figure 3-43).
(7) Set dial indicator pointer to the zero position.
(8) Slowly rotate crankshaft one complete revolution.
(9) Alignment of flywheel shall not vary more than 0.005 inch total reading.
(10) Replace flywheel if the above test requirements cannot be met.