ARMY TM 9-6115-464-34
AIR FORCE TO 35C2-3-445-2
NAVY NAVFAC P-8-624-34
(10) If inspection indicates that idler bearings must be replaced, disassemble idler as follows:
(a) Remove bearings (26) and press races (27) from gear (29).
Each bearing and race is a matched set and must be replaced as such.
(b) Remove ring (28) from gear.
(11) Do not remove idler shaft (30) from cylinder block unless inspection reveals damage.
(12) Remove screws (31) and Iockwashers (32) to remove housing (33) and gasket (34). Discard gasket.
b. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
Solvent, DryCleaning P-D-680, Type II is flammable and moderately toxic to skin,
eyes and respiratory tract. Eye and skin protection required. Good general ventilation
is normally adequate. Failure to observe this warning could cause servere personal
injury or death.
(1) Clean all parts with dry cleaning solvent (Federal Specification P-D-680) and dry thoroughly.
(2) Visually inspect timing gear cover for cracks, corrosion, and other damage,
(3) Inspect gears for cracked, chipped or broken teeth and excessive wear.
(4) Inspect bearings for pitting and excessive wear.
(5) Inspect thrust plate for cracks and deep wear patterns.
(6) Inspect idler shaft for cracks, wear, and other damage.
(7) Inspect threads for crossing, stripping, and peening.
(8) Replace seal at each overhaul.
(9) Replace any damaged or worn parts.
c. Assembly and Installation.
(1) Using new gasket, install housing (33) and secure with Iockwashers (32) and screws (31).
(2) If shaft (30) was removed, press replacement into timing gear housing.
(3) If bearings were replaced, assemble idler assembly as follows:
(a) Install ring (28) into gear (29).
(b) Press races (27) into gear until they seat against ring.
(c) Install bearings (26).
(4) Check that 20 degree (BDC) mark on flywheel is still aligned with timing mark on flywheel housing.
(5) Install idler assembly and secure with washer (24) and screw (23). Torque idler shaft screw to 24-27
(6) Install fuel pump drive gear (22) insuring that the proper timing has been maintained (see paragraph
3-22). Secure gear with Iockwasher (21) and nut (20). Torque drive gear nut to 35-40 ft-lb.
(7) Press replacement seal (19, figure 3-44) into cover.