ARMY TM 9-6115-464-12
AIR FORCE TO 35C2-3-445-1
NAVY NAVFAC P-8-624-12
4-18 BATTERY CHARGING ALTERNATOR.
Test the alternator in accordance with subparagraph c. below before removal.
(1) Disconnect electrical connector (1, Figure 4-10).
(2) Loosen alternator mounting hardware and remove v-belt (2).
(3) Remove screw (3), lockwasher (4), and flat washer (5).
(4) Remove nut (6), lockwasher (7), flat washer (8) and screw (9) to remove alternator assembly (10).
(5) Do not remove screws (11 and 14), lockwashers (12 and 15), adjusting bracket (13) and mounting
bracket (16) unless inspection reveals damage.
b. Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Clean alternator with dry, filtered, compressed air and a soft bristle brush or wipe with a clean, lint-
free cloth lightly moistened with an approved solvent.
(2) Inspect alternator for cracks, corrosion, evidence of shorting and overheating, bent or broken con-
nector pins and other damage.
(3) If the electrical connector receptacle is loose, remove end cap. Remove old rivets and refasten the recep-
tale with new rivets or screws and nuts.
Testing and Adjustment.
(1) Remove four screws attaching the rear cover plate to the alternator.
(2) Carefully pull the cover plate away from the alternator assembly.
(3) Fabricate two test leads as follows:
(a) Cut two pieces of No. 8 or No. 10 insulated wire; one 5 inches long and the other 10 inches long.
(b) Strip both ends of each wire and tin with solder (Federal Specification TB-SIG-222).
(c) Attach a No. 10 ring terminal to one end of the 10 inch test lead.
(d) Attach a No. 10 ring terminal to one end of the 5 inch wire.
(4) Attach the test leads as shown in Figure 4-11 and pass the free end of each lead through a hole in
the ventilated shield of the alternator housing.
(5) Carefully install the rear cover plate and secure with screws.
(6) If alternator is still installed in the generator set, connect wiring harness connector to the alternator.
(7) If alternator has been removed, install it in test setup as shown in Figure 4-12 and provide a means
of rotation at approximately 2500 rpm.
(8) Place multimeter selector in the 50 Vdc position.
(9) Operate alternator at the required rpm and note the reading on the multimeter.
(10) If multimeter reading is not in accordance with Table 4-5, rotate adjusting screw to obtain proper reading.