Section V. ELECTRIC STARTER
The engine generator set is equipped with a 24-volt shift
lever type electric starter. It is mounted directly to the
flywheel housing at the engines right rear and is con-
nected to the batteries by a solenoid switch. It rotates
clockwise as viewed from the drive end. Battery voltage
is supplied to energize the starter solenoid which
energizes the electric starter to crank the engine.
14-25. Starter Replacement.
a. See figure 14-9 and proceed as follows. Remove
starting motor. Refer to Operator and Organizational
Maintenance Manual as follows.
(1) Disconnect the negative cable from the
(2) Tag and disconnect battery cables and elec-
trical wires from starter (3, fig. 14-9).
(3) Remove tool box to gain access to starter
(4) Remove three 12-point screws (1) and three
washers (2). Remove starter (3) and starter adapter (4).
Check ring gear to assure that teeth are not
Install the starter (3, fig. 14-9) on
the flywheel housing in reverse order of removal.
14-26. Brushes Inspection and Replacement.
ceed as follows:
a. Gain access to the starter motor as in
b. Remove the starter commutator end head
assembly, (11) (fig, 14-10) as follows:
(1) Scribe a mark on end head (11) and frame to
locate relative position at assembly.
(2) Remove lead assembly (3, fig. 14-10) by mov-
ing nut (l), washer (2) and nut (4), lockwasher (5), flat
washer (6), phenolic washer (7), flat washer (8), and rub-
ber washer (9).
(3) Remove seven bolts (10).
(4) Remove commutator end head assembly (11),
gasket (12), and washer (13).
(5) Remove insulator (14) and insulating bushing
c. Remove four brush springs (21) by lifting end
of spring from slot and sliding spring from mounting
arm. Remove four brushes (22) from brush plate (18).
(1) Tag and disconnect electrical leads from
brushes (22) by removing screw (19) and washer (20).
(2) Measure the length of each brush. If any
brush is less than 3/8 inch long, replace the complete set of
brushes with new brushes.
d. Install the brushes as follows:
(1) Clean all brushes with a clean, dry cloth only.
Do not permit dry cleaning solvent to come in contact
with the brushes.
(2) Install brushes in reverse order of removal.
e. See figure 14-10 and install the commutator
end head (11) in reverse order of removal.
14-27. Starter Solenoid.
To replace the starter solenoid (29, fig. 14-10) proceed as
(1) Disconnect electrical connections to solenoid.
(2) Remove screws (26, fig. 14-10).
(3) Remove plug (23) and gasket (24).
(4) Slide solenoid (29) toward brush end of motor.
(5) Slip back rubber boot and insert screwdriver
in slot of solenoid core to prevent core from rotating
while removing nut (25).
(6) Remove solenoid (29).
(1) Install starter solenoid in reverse order of
removal and perform steps (2) and (3) below.
(2) Place starter on bench and apply 24 vdc to the
starter solenoid terminals.
(3) With 24 vdc applied to starter solenoid ter-
minals, the starter drive pinion should be observed mov-
ing forward and spinning.
Disassemble as illustrated in
figures 14-11 through 14-13.
(1) Refer to figure 14-11 and disassemble major
subassemblies as follows:
A l l d a t a o n p a g e 1 4 - 1 4 , i n c l u d i n g F i g u r e 1 4 - 9 , i s d e l e t e d.