Figure 7-30. Crankshaft Bearing Installation
during installation. Mount and secure rear bearing
(7) Check crankshaft end play (see figure 7-31).
Use enough rear bearing plate shims to provide 0.010
to 0.015 inch end play. If more than 0.010 inch total
thickness is required then use a steel shim of proper
thickness and an 0.005 inch thick gasket on each side
of shim. This avoids excessive gasket compression
and maintains bolt torque. Shims are available in
0.005, 0.010, 0.015, and 0.020 thickness.
(8) Install keys (26, figure 7-15) on crankshaft
(33), then drive gear (17) into place using fabricated
tool (see table 2-2). Install retaining washer (16) and
lock ring (15).
(9) Refer to paragraph 7-10 and install rod and
(10) Refer to paragraph 7-4 and 7-5 and install
flywheel and housing.
(11) Refer to paragraph 7-11 and install oil pump
(12) Refer to paragraph 7-10 and install oil base.
(13) Refer to paragraph 7-14 and install gear
Figure 7-31. Crankshaft End Play Measurement