not serviced separately. The pump driving gear is
keyed and pressed onto the upper shaft and is retained
(1) Cement new gaskets to front and side
by a roll pin.
rails of pans.
(2) For ease of installing the upper pan, make
(1) Drain the engine oil. Refer to TM 5-6115-
guide studs and screw them into the side
rails of the cylinder block. Also have
available a greased sheet of shim stock
(3) Remove the pump suction tube (12, fig.
larger than the rear area of the pan. The
76) and screen
as an assembly.
greased sheet of shim stock is to be
placed against the preformed packing, in
(4) Remove the oil pump discharge tube (25)
the lower half of the flywheel housing, to
and oil pressure relief valve (3) as an
protect the seal from being damaged
when the pan is installed.
(5) Remove the oil pump from the front main
(3) Mount the pan on the guide studs, Hold
the pan in position by inserting a
c. Disassembly and Inspection.
capscrew and lockwasher near each
(1) Wash the pump assembly.
corner, but do not tighten to the extent
(2) Remove the roll pin securing the pump
that the pan cannot be shifted. Carefully
driving gear to the upper shaft.
ease out the greased sheet of shim stock
(3) Pull the driving gear (15, fig. 77) from the
protecting the preformed packing in the
shaft with a gear puller.
Remove the key from the shaft and clean
(4) Remove the guide studs.
any burrs from the shaft with a stone or
the rear flange of the oil pan to the
(4) Remove the locking wires, capscrews,
flywheel housing and tighten the rear
corner capscrews and the two upper
assembly (3) to the pump housing. Tap
capscrews in the flywheel housing
the cover lightly to loosen it from the
alternately until secure.
dowel pins and remove the cover and
(5) Install the balance of the capscrews in the
oil pan and tighten all capscrews securely
(5) Inspect the pump gear teeth, the inside of
the pump body, and the inner face of the
(6) Install lower oil pan.
cover for wear or scoring. The gear teeth,
the inside of the pump body, and the inner
51. Oil Pump
face of the cover must be smooth, having
. Pump gears are keyed and pressed
no scratches, score marks, or rough
onto their respective shafts and are