removed and installed in the engine, proceed as follows:
(6) Before reinstalling the housing, clean it in
(1) Remove the gear retaining snap ring.
cleaning solvent and inspect it for cracks
and other damage.
(2) Using suitable puller tools, remove the
(7) Cement a new gasket to the housing, coat
hollow dowels with white lead, and install
(3) Before installing the gear, examine the
the housing. Install retaining capscrews
thrust plate for signs of wear and replace
if necessary. Make certain that woodruff
key is in place on the camshaft.
(8) Complete the rest of the installation by a
(4) Heat gear in oil to a temperature of
direct reversal of the removal procedure,
approximately 300 . Coat camshaft, at
using new gaskets and parts where
gear location, with a mixture of white lead
required and making the proper
and oil and press gear onto camshaft.
Caution. Use asbestos gloves when
handling the heated gear.
50. Oil Pan
(5) Install gear retaining snap ring.
a. General. The engine oil pan includes two
c. Crankshaft Gear Removal and Installation.
sections, the upper oil pan (3, fig. 75) and the lower oil
pan (15). The lower oil pan assembly includes a heating
d. Accessory Drive Gear Removal and installation.
element (14) which can be connected to winterization
e. Oil Pump Drive Gear Removal and Installation.
(1) Drain oil from engine. Refer to TM 5-
f. Timing Gear Housing Removal and Installation.
(1) Drain the cooling system. Remove the
(2) Remove fuel tank (TM 5-6115-400-12) or
remove engine from generator set (para
Note. The water pump may or may
not be removed, as desired, however,
if the water pump is not removed,
connecting lines from heating element
securing the water pump to the timing
(4) Remove lower oil pan by removing
(2) Remove the camshaft and camshaft gear.
(5) Remove upper oil pan by removing
(3) Remove the fuel injection pump and then
screws securing the oil pan to the flywheel
remove the accessory drive.
housing and to the engine block. Jar the
(4) Remove the accessory drive lubricating
oil pan to remove it from the engine.
oil line and fittings. Remove the pipe
Note. Take care not to damage the
nipple with the restrictor if so equipped.
preformed packing in the front of flywheel
(5) Remove capscrews securing timing gear
housing to cylinder block and remove
c. Cleaning and Inspection.
(1) Wash all parts and clean gasket sealing
Note. If oil pan was not removed be
extremely careful not to damage oil
(2) Inspect pans for cracks or other damage
and make certain the preformed packing
in the front of flywheel housing is in