(5) Fill filter assembly with fuel (see table 3-1).
(6) Install new top gasket and position filter
case to filter head. Tighten by hand until
gasket touches filter head, then turn an
additional one-half to three-fourths of a turn.
(7) Check the fuel filter for leakage and be
certain that the filter case and gasket are
4-76. LUBE OIL COOLER. (See figure 4-40.)
Inspection. (See figure 4-49.)
Engines which have encountered major
circulated through the system, cannot be
properly cleaned; therefore, replacement
of oil cooler is mandatory.
Inspect the cooler housing (4), and all
connections for cracks, leaks, dents, and
(1) Drain coolant into a clean container via
coolant drain (see figure 4-2). Save coolant
(2) Drain lubricating oil by removing oil drain
plug and opening engine oil drain valve.
Collect oil in suitable container for reuse.
(3) Unscrew oil filter assemblies (1).
(4) Remove water inlet tube (2) from housing
(4). Separate and discard gasket (3).
Separate and discard gasket (3).
(6) Remove oil transfer tubes (6). Separate
and discard gaskets (7).
(7) Remove capscrews (8) and washers (9) to
release cooler housing (4) from bracket
(10). Separate and discard gaskets (11).
(8) Install new gaskets (11).
(9) Position cooler housing (4) onto bracket
(10). Secure with capscrews (8) and
(10) Install new gaskets (7). Install oil transfer
(11) Install new gaskets (3). Install water outlet
connection (5) and water inlet tube (2) into
(12) Install oil filter assemblies (1).
(13) Close engine oil drain valve.
(14) Fill lubricating system with oil using oil filler
tube (figure 4-40).
(15) Run engine, check for leaks, recheck engine
oil level; add oil (see table 3-1) as
necessary to bring oil level to FULL mark on
oil level gauge (dipstick).
(16) Replace coolant, then check coolant level; if
low add proper coolant (see table 3-1.