ARMY TM 9-6115-604-12
NAVY NAVFAC P-8-633-12
(1) Unscrew fitting and remove oil hose assembly (1, Figure 4-60) from turbocharger oil inlet.
(2) Remove capscrews (2), lockwashers (3), and remove oil drain tube assembly (4) from turbocharger Discard
flange gasket (5)
(3) Remove hose clamps (6) and molded rubber adapter (7) from turbocharger air inlet.
(4) Remove V band clamp (8) and turbine exhaust connection (9) from turbocharger exhaust outlet.
(5) Remove capscrews (10), lockwashers (11), washer (12), and remove retaining brace (13) from turbocharger air
(6) Remove locknuts (14) and capscrews (15) from turbocharger exhaust inlet. Remove and discard turbine to
exhaust gasket (16).
(7) Remove turbocharger assembly (17), air tube (18), and preformed packing (19) Discard preformed packing.
(1) Lubricate preformed packings (19, Figure 4-60) with clean engine lubricating oil MIL-L-9000, and install on air
tube (18). Install air tube In aftercooler housing.
(2) Coat turbine to exhaust gasket (16) with high temperature anti-seize compound MIL-A-907, and position gasket
on exhaust manifold flange.
(3) Start air outlet of turbocharger assembly (17) on air tube (18) and position exhaust inlet on exhaust manifold
(4) Push turbocharger assembly (17) onto air tube (18) until exhaust manifold flange is In proper alignment with
turbocharger exhaust inlet.
(5) Ensure turbine to exhaust gasket (16) Is In alignment Install, but do not tighten capscrews (15) and locknuts (14).
(6) If inlet and exhaust connections do not align properly, or the oil drain hole does not point downward to within 30
degrees of vertical, loosen the turbine housing flange clamp bolts and the compressor housing V band and twist
the turbine housing, compressor housing, or center housing until correct alignment has been achieved.
(7) If realignment of the turbocharger housing was necessary, tighten V band clamp nut to 40 to 60 pound-inches (4
5 to 6 8 newton-meters) torque, and the flange clamp bolts to 100 to 110 pound-inches (11 5 to 12.5 newton-
(8) Install the retaining braces (13) using capscrews (10), lockwashers (11), and plain washers (12) Do not tighten
capscrews (10) at this time.
(9) Tighten locknuts (14) and capscrews (15) to a torque of 30 to 35 pound-feet (41 to 47 newton-meters).
(10) Tighten retaining brace capscrews (10) to torque of 40 to 45 pound-feet (54 to 61 newton-meters).
(11) Using a new flange gasket (5), install oil drain tube assembly (4) using capscrews (2) and lockwashers (3), and
tighten to a torque of 50 pound-feet (68 newton-meters).
(12) Install the turbo exhaust connection (9) and V band clamp (8), and tighten clamp nut securely.
(13) Using a small funnel pour 2 to 3 ounces (59 to 89 ml) of clean lubricating oil MIL-L-9000, through the oil inlet
opening of turbocharger housing. Turn compressor wheel slowly by hand while adding oil to distribute oil around
(14) Install oil hose assembly (1) on turbocharger inlet, and tighten to a torque of 20 pound-feet (27 newton-meters).
(15) Install molded rubber adapter (7), and secure with hose clamps (6).
(16) Start engine and Inspect for proper operation in accordance with steps a (9) through (14), above.