ARMY TM 9-6115-604-12
NAVY NAVFAC P-8-633-12
SECTION XII . MAINTENANCE OF LUBRICATION SYSTEM
GENERAL. See Figure 1-3 Unit maintenance of the lubrication system consists of maintaining the lubrication
oil temperature and pressure senders, filter and by-pass filter assembly, lube oil cooler, drain valve and hose, and oil
sight gage. This section also contains replacement procedures for lube oil lines.
4-65. MAINTENANCE OF OIL TEMPERATURE SENDER MT2. The oil temperature MT2 is located on the left side of
the engine block on the oil filter head. Its function is to vary resistance with temperature and to permit meter M2 to
Inspect (see Figure 3-2). Inspect the sender for secure attachment of wires and leakage.
Remove (see Figure 3-2).
Tag and disconnect wires to sender.
Set multimeter to RX1 K scale and connect to terminal and body of sender
Burns may result It proper care is not used when handling hot antifreeze.
(2) Suspend the sender In a container of antifreeze. Do not submerge sender terminal. Heat the antifreeze while
monitoring the temperature with an accurate thermometer.
(3) At 230°F (110°C), the resistance across the sender shall be 340 ± 30 ohms.
(4) Replace the sender if it does not meet the above specifications.
Install (see Figure 3-2).
Install replacement sender and bushing using sealing compound MIL-S-45180, Type II, or equivalent.
Connect wiring as tagged
MAINTENANCE OF OIL PRESSURE SENDER MT1. The oil pressure sender MT1 is mounted on the right side
of the engine at center of the block Its function is to vary resistance as oil pressure is varied to permit M1 to register
engine oil pressure.
Inspect (see Figure 3-2). Inspect the sender for signs of leakage and secure attachment of wires.
(1) With the sender Installed, and the generator set shut down, tag and disconnect wires from sender terminal.
Set multimeter to RX1 K scale and connect to sender body and terminal The resistance shall be 242 15
(2) Operate the generator set for 15 minutes Observe the multimeter. Resistance at 25 psi is 152 ± 10 ohms and
at 75 psi Is 66 ± 6 ohms The resistance shall drop as the engine oil pressure Increases. Shut down the
generator, remove multimeter and reconnect wire to sender.
(3) The sender Is not repairable. If it does not meet the above specifications, it shall be replaced.
Tag and disconnect wire from sender.