(39) When proper depth has been obtained,
allow cutter to dwell for approximately 10
seconds to ensure a good seat and clean
lubricating oil. Install O-ring into groove of
injector sleeve bore in head.
(41) Using an injector sleeve driver, push new
injector sleeve into bore of cylinder head
until it bottoms. Do not strike mandrel with
(42) Install an injector sleeve holding tool and
tighten nut to 35 to 40 foot-pounds (47 to
54 joules) torque.
(43) Insert mandrel into sleeve bore, strike
mandrel two moderate blows with hammer
to ensure that injector sleeve is properly
seated. Retighten injector sleeve holding
tool to 35 to 40 foot-pounds (48 to 55
(44) Roll top 1/2 inch (12.70 mm) area of
sleeve with expanding roller. Use inch-
pound torque wrench to turn mandrel until
a 75 inch-pound (8.5 joules) maximum
torque reading is obtained on torque
Over-rolling of injector sleeve will cause
(45) Cut injector seat to provide proper seat and
injector tip protrusion. Use the injector
sleeve cutter in a drill press with pilot,
using a solid stream of good cutting oil to
allow cutter to cut freely without grabbing,
etc. To determine amount of cut, insert
injector, and torque to specifications, then
measure tip protrusion (see tabulated data
in Chapter 1). Depth of cut must provide
protrusion of injector cup tip beyond milled
face of cylinder head, as specified in
Chapter 1 under Injector Tip Protrusion,
when injector is installed.
(46) Sleeve must "blue in" with Prussian Blue
360 degrees around injector seat when
injector is installed in cylinder head. Bluing
band must be 0.060 inch (1.52 mm)
(47) Perform the hydrostatic test of paragraph
13-27 e (2).
(48) Using the adapter wrench, remove spark
plug adapters from heads.
(49) Clean and lubricate spark plug adapter
threads in the cylinder head by "chasing"
with a 7/8-14 UNF tap or cap- screw coated
with lubricating oil. Clean the machined O-
ring seating surface in the cylinder head
with fine emery paper to remove scale
build-up, etc., and to ensure proper seating
of the adapter O-ring.
(50) Clean spark plug adapter seating areas.
(51) Clean threads and gasket seating area of
(52) Lubricate O-rings and O-ring seating areas
in bores of heads with clean engine oil.
Position new gaskets and O-rings on spark
plug adapters. Screw adapters into
cylinder heads and tighten to 70 to 80 foot-
pounds (95 to 105 joules).
Assembly and Testing. Proceed as follows:
(1) Clean cylinder head, valves, springs, etc.
(2) Lubricate valve stem with clean engine oil
and insert valves in valve guides.
(3) Place cylinder head face