washer (5) and screw (4).
(8) Install key (29), press gear (26) and coupling
(25A) into position on drive shaft (27). Press
slow and straight. Be certain tachometer gear
teeth are aligned.
(9) Install Washer (25), lockwasher (24), screw (23),
and spider coupling (22). Hold coupling (25A)
or main shaft (27) in a copperjawed vise while
Coat governor bushing (15) with high-
pressure lubricant and press governor weight
and carrier assembly (16) into front cover.
Mesh gears to avoid gear tooth damage. The
bushing must seat against housing. Rotate
weight assembly, with weights opened out, to be
sure it will turn completely in housing. Install
snap ring (14).
Install mainshaft cover assembly to engine
assembly with the four washers and capscrews.
Replace the fuel pump, speed switch and
tachometer drive adapter.
TACHOMETER DRIVE CONNECTOR (Code
B). To replace the tachometer drive adapter,
code B, proceed as follows:
Remove the speed switch in accordance with
Unscrew the connector (7, figure 13-13) from
the tachometer drive housing.
Replace with a new connector if required.
Replace the speed switch in accordance with
TACHOMETER DRIVE (Code B). To inspect,
replace, and repair the tachometer drive refer to figure
13-13, and proceed as follows:
(1) Remove the speed switch and tachometer drive
connector in accordance with paragraph 13-9.
(2) Remove the fuel pump.
(3) Remove the main shaft cover assembly by
removing the four cap screws and washers
securing it to the engine assembly.
(4) Check the governor weight carrier shaft (24,
figure 13-21) in its bushing before removal.
Excessive wear can be felt by moving shaft
from side to side in the bushing.
(5) Observe gear backlash between weight shaft
gear and drive gear (22, figure 13-13). Normal
backlash is 0.005 to 0.009 inch (0.13 to 0.23
(6) Remove carrier (24, figure 13-21).
(7) Remove drive shaft (9, figure 13-13), seal (8),
bushing (10), and gear (11).
(8) Remove screw (13), hub (14).key (15),
spacer (16) and gear (17). Pres drive shaft (25)
(9) Press gear (22) from cover
(10) Press oil seals (19) from cover.
(1) Visually inspect gears for cracked, broken, or
(2) Inspect all shafts for wear or scoring.
Repair. Repair by replacing damaged parts.
(1) Clean all parts thoroughly with mineral spirits.