h. Reassembly Style I Starter (see figure 5-1)
(1) Soak sleeve bearing (36) in SAE 10 oil
for 15 minutes before assembly of stater.
(2) Press bearing (36) into pinion housing
(3) Slide drive assembly (35) onto the
armature shaft. Slide stop and position lock ring
(34) in its groove on the armarure shaft. Pull
step over lock ring. A bearing puller tool may
(4) Install thrust washer (27) on the end
of the armature shaft. Slip yoke (32) onto the
drive assembly (35) and install both in pinion
housing (28). Install pin (31) in pinion housing
to hold yoke (32) in place.
(5) When brushes (26) are excessively worn,
cut each brush lead 1 inch fron the welded connec-
tion (see figure 5-12). Install new brush as
(a) Using rosin core solder and a solder-
ing iron, or heavy duty soldering gun, tin the
remaining sections of the original brush lead.
(b) Position the new brush lead next to
the tinned section of the original brush lead.
Install and crimp the brass strip connectors (that
are supplied with new brush) around both leads to
hold the brush in place. See figure 5-12.
(c) Solder the new brushes in place.
Position the brush leads so they do not contact
the frame or interfere with the thru bolt
(6) Install brush assembly (21) and brush
washer set (19) in frame assembly (25). Install
the previously removed nut (17) and washer (18)
onto the stud of the brush assembly (21). See
(7) Install brushes (21 and 26) in brush
holder (24). Attach brush holder to frame
assembly (25) with screws (22) and lockwashers
(8) Assemble armature (33), drive assembly
(35) and pinion housing (28) with frame assembly
(9) Install brush springs (20).
(10) Install thrust washers (27) on the end
of the armture shaft (33) and install back plate
assembly (16) on frame assembly (25) with the
thru bolts (14) and lock washers (15).
(11) Install solenoid (13) on frame assembly
(25) with screws (11) and lockwashers (12) so the
bottom terminal of solenoid goes thru the field
coil connector (8). Attach terminal to connector
with nut (6) and lockwasher (7). Connect plunger
of solenoid to yoke (32) with pin (10). Secure
pin (10) with cotter pin (9). Install boot (30)
and boot retainer (29) over the yoke (32).
(12) Connect tagged lead (5) between
solenoid switch (13) and brush assembly (21)
threaded terminal using nut(1), nut (3) and lock-
washers (2), lockwasher (4). Remove tags.
i. Reassmbly Style II Starter (see figure 5-2).
(1) Apply a light coating of grease to the
following components before assembling starter.
Armature shaft splines
Reduction Gear teeth
Over-running Clutch shefts
Pinion Gear teeth
Lever sliding pads
Stopper for pinion gear
Front Bracket sleeve bearing
(2) Place Reduction gear (31) and flat
washers (26) onto rear shaft of over-running
clutch (36). Insert shaft with gear and washers
thru Center bracket (25).
(3) Install spacer(23), flat washer (22) and
retaining ring (21) on over-running clutch shaft.
(4) Push the over-running clutch (36) towards
the center bracket and measure the end play bet-
ween the center bracket (25) and the flat washer
(5) Adjust end play to between 0.0039 to
0.020 inch (0.1 to 0.5 mm) with adjustment washers
(6) Install cover (20) with screws (19).
(7) Install lever (30) on to over-running
clutch, check for correct positioning as was
referrred in disassembly. Add inner spring (29),
outer spring (28) and packing (27). Slide clutch
shaft thru front bracket assembly (37) and secure
center bracket to front bracket with screw (24).
Front and center brackets are under spring
tension, care must be used to keep packing
and inner/outer spring in place while tight-
ing the screw.