only at center bracket location, to a torque
shaft with solvent, a small wire, and
of 68-73 ft. lbs. Do not tighten capscrews
or nuts on either end bracket.
(3) Using a feeler gage, check clearance
(1) Lubricate rocker arm bushings and shaft
between the end rocker arms and the end
with clean oil and install rocker arms (fig.
51) rocker arm retainers, springs, and
clearance is .002 inch.005 inch. Tap
rocker arm shaft brackets on the shaft.
brackets forward or back until the
Install snap rings at each end of shaft.
specified clearance is obtained, then
(2) Aline center hole in rocker arm shaft with
tighten bracket retaining capscrew and nut
centering capscrews and tighten the
to a torque of 68-73 ft. lbs. and clamping
capscrew. Tighten clamping capscrews,
capscrews to a torque of 18-20 ft. lbs,
only on middle bracket, to a torque of 18-
After all capscrews and nuts are tightened
20 ft. lbs. Do not tighten clamping
to the proper torque, recheck the end
capscrews on either end bracket.
play, and readjust if necessary.
(4) Install fuel injection nozzle holder clamps
(1) Place rocker arm assembly over rocker
49), plain washers, and nuts.
arm shaft bracket studs and position the
Tighten nuts to a torque of 21-24 ft. lbs.
assembly on cylinder head. The rocker
(5) Adjust the valves (TM 5-6115-400-12).
arm assemblies are interchangeable and
After adjusting valves, recheck rocker arm
can be installed on either cylinder head.
bracket retaining capscrews and
44. Push Rods and Valve Lifters
a. Removal and Inspection.
(1) Remove rocker arm assemblies. Refer to paragraph
(2) Withdraw push rods. Inspect both ends of
signs of wear; polish out any nicks or
scores. If push rods are bent, twisted, or
damaged, they must be replaced.
(3) Remove capscrews, plain washers, and
sealing washers attaching valve lifter
covers to cylinder block and remove the
covers. Remove locking wire, capscrews,
and plain washers securing valve lifter
brackets to the cylinder block and remove
the valve lifters from each valve bracket
from cylinder block.
Figure 50. Rocker a arm bushing service tool set.