force of the weights lessens, and the
(17) Run fuel draws and adjust until pump
governor springs force the sleeve forward
toward the fuel injection pump. A control
(18) Check the low idle setting (275 rpm) in the
rod, connected to the fulcrum lever on the
same manner, but do not change the fuel
governor sleeve and engaged with the
settings on the gear segment. If the
tooth segment of the control sleeve on
correct low-idle flow cannot be obtained
each plunger barrel of the injection pump,
after calibrating for full load speed,
transmits the movement of the governor
delivery valves must be checked for wear
sleeve to the control sleeve on each
and replaced if necessary. If delivery
plunger barrel. Movement of the plunger
valves are in good condition, replace the
sleeve by the control rack rotates the
corresponding pump plunger in its barrel,
which in turn controls the amount of fuel
sleeves, which had been removed at time
delivered by the plunger.
of overhaul, should now be reinscribed to
coincide with the mark on the gear
segment. Firmly tighten the segment
(1) The mechanical governor is attached to
the fuel injection pump and they are
removed from the engine as an assembly.
i. Installation. Refer to TM 5-6115-400-12.
Refer to TM 5-6115-400-12.
35. Mechanical Governor
(1) Drain all lubrication oil from the governor
(2) Remove the governor housing fastening
(1) The governor drive gear, located on the
rear end of the fuel injection pump
(3) Carefully disengage the governor housing
camshaft, is engaged with the driven gear
(99) from the fuel pump housing and
mounted on the front end of the governor
disengage the governor linkage pin (45)
weight shaft. A friction clutch, built into
from the injection pump control rack.
the governor drive gear, is so designed
that it causes the drive gear to slip on the
(4) Remove the governor housing gasket
hub momentarily whenever sudden speed
changes of the pump camshaft occur.
(5) Remove the governor inspection cover
This clutch assures smooth operation of
the governor weights and helps to
(6) The adjustable bumper spring (70 and 71)
minimize governor wear.
assembly need not be removed unless the
(2) The governor weights are attached to and
spring is damaged.
rotate with the governor weight shaft, thus
(7) The stop plate unit (68) is held by two
providing governor control at all engine
screws and can be removed from the
As the weights revolve,
centrifugal force tends to throw them
(8) Remove the operating lever covers (83
outward, moving the weights along the
shaft. This movement is opposed by the
(9) If the operating lever (86) is damaged and
governor springs through a sliding sleeve.
must be replaced, scribe a line across the
The higher the speed. the greater the
end of the lever shaft to coincide with the
centrifugal force and movement of the
mark on the operating lever for correct
sleeve against the governor springs. If
positioning at reassembly.
the speed is decreased, the centrifugal